Friday, October 29, 2010

Steppin' out...

I'm betting none of these guys do a lot of sitting around...


Study du jour: Even if you work out every day, if you spend 8 hours sitting at a desk every day, you're at greater risk of a heart attack.

Now there's an incentive to take a walk at lunch. And walk down the hall to talk to the engineer instead of sending an email. And get up every hour or so to touch my toes. Or someone's toes, at any rate.

Plus, as of last night I have ... wait for it... actually parked my car in the garage. Yes, I know. It's un-American not to leave the car outside and stuff your stuff in the garage, but that's what I did. It feels meaningful somehow, like I'm putting the car away. Is this an out of sight, out of mind thing? I don't know, but it does feel like a positive step.

Exercise du jour: Week 1 of the C25k. Walk to and from the Max rather than taking the car. And maybe a walk at lunch, if the foot feels amenable.
Done! Well, the morning, evening, and C25k part. The foot said @!#%$ at lunch time. I'll try again next week. It's still encouraging that damn foot is letting me do this much without problems. So far, fingers crossed.


Photo montage courtesy of uppityrib.

4 comments:

messymimi said...

It is a positive thing. Someone will "messy" in her name knows how good it is when something can be used for its intended purpose.

English Rider said...

Lovely photos and yes, putting the car away is very symbolic.

John's Weight Loss Blog said...

I read about that study, that really bummed me out. Because the fact is even if I am able to somehow find the motivation to get off my butt at home, the fact is I have and have had for a long time jobs that have me sitting at a desk. A bit of a downer really.

The Merry said...

I've got that kind of job too, John. I figure that we don't need to do a /lot/ of exercise during the work day, but I'm going to try to get up and stretch every couple of hours. Maybe I'll drink lots of herb tea, so I'll be forced to get up and walk every so often :)