Saturday, May 01, 2010

Status? Don't ask

I'm starting to emerge from the two months of all work and no workout, so I decided to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Eeeeek!


Okay, on second thought, screw the mirror. I'm going to put a cover over all the mirrors in the house.

It's amazing, in a depressing way, what two months of stress, fast food, no exercise and almost no sleep can do to a woman. I used to have a pot belly. Now it's not so much a pot as a cauldron. I haven't actually been attending Weight Watcher meetings. I usually found time to dash in and get weighed, but some weeks I couldn't even do that. Tracking my food? Yeah, right. Even exercise has been lost in the shuffle.

The ideal long-term solution to this would be to get a new job, one with more pay, less work, and with a gym in the building. A gym staffed by lithe nubile tanned gym instructors with an endless supply of biceps and patience.

A more realistic solution -- for now, anyway -- is to dig myself out of the hole again.
    Goals for this week:

  • Buy fruit, vegetables, fish. No meat/alcohol/sugar in the house

  • Cook enough food so that I can bring food to work

  • Bike or walk every damn day

  • Get back to attending meetings, reading blogs, and in general trying to find my lost motivation.


I'm putting these goals up here for all the world to see.
Probably all the world has better things to do with their time, but that's not the point.
I am a strong independent occasionally self-deluded woman who is making herself publicly accountable. So there.


Exercise du jour: 30 minutes on the exercise bicycle.

Walked instead, but it's still exercise. (Didn't get the exercise bike set up. Something to look forward to tomorrow.)





My portrait courtesy of Flickr:

6 comments:

messymimi said...

Remember, you may not be able to do it all at once. As long as it is a steady upward spiral, you are doing great.

Celebrate every victory.

Welcome back to the world; I wish you could leave that work cave permanently.

Cat said...

Baby steps, gal, it didn't happen overnight, it won't go away overnight. Just be good to you as you can, it sounds like you are planning well. And we blog friends are rooting you on!

Take care,
Cat

Kyle said...

I follow regularly, but rarely comment...or maybe this is my first, but who knows.

I'm an IT guy and have been on projects that completely consume me...I've been (I like to think I'm reformed) a workaholic.

I'd pretty much put anyone or anything ahead of my own needs, needlessly.

I decided to get downright selfish about getting fit...and it has worked...so far.

Get selfish...I'm rooting for you.

LaShaune said...

I agree with Kyle. Get selfish! Working yourself into an early grave isn't beneficial to anyone, especially your followers, stalkers, lurkers.

Great goals and if I think we can all keep each other accountable.

I bought strawberries, blackberries, grapes, and bananas today. I threw out the pizza and breadsticks (but I did drink the last of an open Malbec - can't let a good wine go to waste).

Shelley said...

Welcome back to the land of the living! I hope you find that dream job, but in the meantime I think you've got a good plan. Plus I liked the cauldron reference...I so get that.

Gina said...

That picture is hilarious (and very familiar to my own reflection).