Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Catching the dream & similar Tuesday delusions




Quote du jour:
The dream was always running ahead of me. To catch up, to live for a moment in unison with it, that was the miracle. - Anais Nin

Interesting thing -- although I feel good afterward, I don't enjoy running. Usually. That last session, though, for while I got into a rhythm where I actually felt good; it felt comfortable to move at that pace with that stride.

Then, of course, I had to navigate around an obstacle and lost the cadence. But for a couple minutes at least, I kinda enjoyed myself.

Two more weeks until the end of the year. Any chance of my suddenly losing several pounds in the next fifteen days? Well, anything's possible. Just not especially probable.

Exercise du jour: Week 4 of the C25K

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:

* Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
* Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
* Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
* Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
* Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
* Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
* Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Semi-success (or semi-fail) 1/2 hour yoga, an hour and 45 minutes of walking, but the headache is winning out over jogging tonight. Tomorrow. I promise.



Flickr photo:

4 comments:

Dr. J said...

Just for the record, I don't like running every time, but like you, bliss is in finishing!

How come your walking times are the same speed as your running times? I move faster when running, is that part of the training system? Also, running slowly burns fewer calories than walking fast. What I mean is if you are moving at the same speed, walking will burn more calories.

The Merry said...

Hey Dr J!

That's the schedule from Cool Runnings for the Couch-to-5k program. I have no idea what my pace is. I'm going by the time part of the schedule. (It is weird how it's the same pace; I just copied and pasted that from the website to remind myself.)

My plan is to run the allotted amount of time and try to really run rather than jog or shuffle along. One of these days soon I'll try running on a track and get a specific idea of my pace.

Tricia said...

yeah I usually hate running for the first 2 miles or so, after that I get in a rhythm and actually enjoy it! :)

Marste said...

*SIGH* Are you trying to guilt me into re-starting the C25K program? YOU ARE, AREN'T YOU? I CAN TELL.

*mutters* And it's kind of working.

Maybe in January. I still need to go get my new gym membership. (And I refuse to run in my super-urban neighborhood. I'm WAY to insecure for that.)