Monday, July 18, 2016

Working from home = more work time, less home time

Quote du jour: Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.- Carl Sandburg

One thing I'm working to overcome is my tendency to sit down in front of my computer and stay there for hours. Working in an office, it's easier to control this. A co-worker wants you to go to the break room for a coffee, you go out to lunch with people, you need to physically get up and go to a meeting. Something. But working from home, my point of connection to the outside world is the computer screen and there I stay. So today, here's the schedule.

10 a.m. -- Get up from my desk. 15 minutes ellipticalling.-- done
12 noon -- Get up from my desk. 30 minutes cleaning the house. done30 minutes ellipticalling.done
3:30 p.m. -- Get up from my desk. 30 minutes yard work.fail. Last Minute Meeting, very important (yeah. so why was everything shelved until tomorrow if it was so important, hmmn?)
4 p.m. -- 60 minutes ellipticalling.done -- got to use up a lot of frustration
7 p.m. -- 15 minutes ellipticalling.done. Finally.
That's a hard schedule for me. Not the hour on the elliptical, the taking-a-break part.

4 comments:

Jennette Fulda said...

I have the same problem. Sometimes I'll sit at the computer for 3 hours or more without a break. There are software programs that will alert you to take a break that I should probably check out.

BTW, glad to see you back!

The Merry said...

Thanks Jennette! Posting this schedule was the only thing that got me to get up from my desk at 10. I kept thinking, "Oh, I'll just go after this one more email..."
Guilt. It works :)

messymimi said...

You can set a timer to go off and get you up from the computer every so often. Also to look up and get your eyes to focus somewhere beyond the screen. That's very important.

The Merry said...

Yes, but then you have to Listen to the timer. That's my problem. I need one of those software program that freezes the laptop for fifteen minutes or something like that. Except I suspect my boss might not approve of my installing such an application on their computer. They like me being glued to the desk :(