Sunday, July 17, 2016

Work is bad for blogging

Quote du jour: Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. - Steve Jobs
Sheesh, all it took was a job with a hellishly long commute and poof my exercise blogging went out the window. Update:
  1. No, I'm not dead. Not yet, at least.
  2. Working a job that involves a 3-hour commute and getting up at 4:30 in the morning is bad for your blogging schedule.
  3. Jumping from that job to one that involves travel up to half a month is even worse.
  4. Exercising or eating right when working 15 hour days is not always easy possible.
  5. For the moment, I'm not working as hard so I'm going to go back to tracking exercise.
I bought a new elliptical. Broke the old cheap one, and fixing it would've cost more than it was worth, so I bought a fancy one with a fancy maintenance agreement. I've found that this is one type of exercise that I can and will do consistently. Go with what works, yes? Exercise du jour: 1 hour, ellipticalling -- done!

6 comments:

messymimi said...

It's good to see you again. Good work on the exercise!

The Merry said...

Thank you, Messymimi!

solarity said...

Strangely, my blogging died shortly after I moved to a five-minute commute, where I come home to lunch four days out of five, and when I stopped working the other job and now have two days a week off! I keep thinking "I should get back to that now I have more time" and it doesn't happen.

Elliptical jealousy. My exercise regime died when I developed a permanent foot problem (worn-out metatarsal fat pad, says the orthopedist) and my job keeps me moving all the time. No matter how much padding I add to the shoe, the foot just won't keep going.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

The Merry said...

That's interesting, MaryAnne in K. When I switched to working from home, I tried joining a gym five minutes away. Didn't help -- there was too much work (10-12 hours of meetings a day, for example). All I know is we have to keep trying different things until we find one that sticks. Good luck!

solarity said...

10-12 hours of meetings! [shudders in horror] Clearly I must be careful what I wish for about working from home. (My ultimate, derailed, goal.)

Mary Anne in Kentucky

The Merry said...

Well, usually only 8 hours with the client (big company, many departments). Then another couple hours worth of meetings with coworkers. If I weren't working from home, I would have found a job with better hours.