Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Easy day

 Quote du jour: “We do not stop exercising because we grow old – we grow old because we stop exercising.” ~ Dr. Kenneth Cooper

Spent a total of 2 hours on the elliptical yesterday. I'm easing into this return to exercising, so I wasn't using high resistance. I got my heart rate up, even so. Have I mentioned that I love my elliptical? I even find using the moveable arms gives my arm muscles a bit of a workout.

Wow. I am surprised how tired I am today. I did not push myself yesterday as far as using resistance on the elliptical, and my muscles are not sore, but I have no energy today. Zero. Zip. Zilch. (Why are there so many 'Z' words for low energy?) So whatever I did, it must have pushed my body even though I did not feel like I was stressing out the system. I'm going to consider that progress.

Exercise du jour: Today, I want to go easy on the elliptical. A mere 15 minute stint. done

Joachim Martin Falbe [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

8 comments:

KDJames said...

Welcome back! I've missed your posts and your ability to make me feel even more slug-like by comparison.

How has it been FOUR years? That just doesn't seem possible.

The Merry said...

Curse it, you've uncovered my secret behind the blog -- to make you feel slug-like.

Sadly, it has been four years. I'm older and wider, er, I meant wiser. Well, okay, so wider is more accurate.

OH said...

*thumbs up* for the exercising. Hopefully as you ease (two hours isn't exactly easing but ok :P) back into it it won't leave so drained.

The Merry said...

Thanks OH! Good to hear from you :)

messymimi said...

Of course it pushed you, even if it didn't feel like it did. Your body rebuilds on the rest days.

The Merry said...

True, Messymimi. It's just shocking to think that it would /need/ to rebuild when I didn't stress it enough even to feel sore. But I suspect my body knows more about when it needs to rest than I do.

solarity said...

Still feeling elliptical envy, but not as much. I can't use one with movable arms; if I don't have something stable to hold onto I feel that I'm going to fall off with every step.

Go, you!

Mary Anne in Kentucky

The Merry said...

I think there's some way to immobilize the arms. Many people find them annoying or unstable. It's not just you :)