Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Second week doing Eat to Live

Quote du jour: The bed is a bundle of paradoxes: we go to it with reluctance, yet we quit it with regret; we make up our minds every night to leave it early, but we make up our bodies every morning to keep it late. ~Charles Caleb Colton


Survived another week on the Eat to Live eating plan. Lost another two pounds, despite the Unfortunate Chinese Food Incident, which is not to be sneezed at even if it is allergy season. One thing I've noticed is that my weight is not fluctuating wildly up and down as it used to before I started this. Is it just reduced salt intake? I'm curious.

Another curious thing is how sensitive the taste buds are getting. Is it because so much of the diet is green, leafy, unspicy? I had a bowl of sweet, sweet early strawberries with some tart blueberries mixed in. Even ten minutes later, my taste buds were acting like a bunch of stoned hippies in a brownie factory: "whoa, man, that was, like, intense, dude.*"

Of course, that is not always a good thing. Yesterday I went out to eat at a restaurant with a bunch of people. It was the first time I'd eaten out, since I've been on this eating plan, at a place that didn't have a salad bar. All you could get was stir fry, though you could pick out what you wanted them to put in the wok. I thought I was playing it safe by getting a vegetable stir fry, but that sauce! Argh! I can still taste it. Forget Chinese food making you hungry, I was full for the rest of the day.

Update: exercise done!


Exercise du jour: Going for distance. 60 on the elliptical.

*Yes, my taste buds are Californian. They talk like that.

Posted from DPad on my iPad

6 comments:

messymimi said...

Good luck on the elliptical, and with the eating plan.

Shelley said...

I think eating the way you are definitely makes for sensitive taste buds. Fruit never used to be sweet to me, but it really is now. And you know how just about everyone and their brother goes on and on about bacon? I had some - real bacon pieces - in a salad recently and I could not get that taste out of my mouth. Just too strong, too much. I think it's a good, if different and slightly abnormal, thing. :)

Julie said...

On it with you now! Book arrives tomorrow, we picked up more fruits and veggies today. Very much looking forward to these changes!

(We'll be two weeks behind.)

You have inspired me SO much. Thank you, again.

azusmom said...

I think most taste buds are Californian.
Glad to hear you're having so much success!

The Merry said...

Thanks, Azusmom!

Julie, try it and see what you think. Even if you don't want to go cold carrot after the six weeks are up, I think eating more F & V is a good thing.

Shelley, now I'm going to have to try a piece of bacon once Lent is done. A small piece, just to see.

Thanks, MessyM!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Sounds very admirable! I, however, seem to be in the throes of a chocolate binge and the best i can do is restrict myself to dark and hope it goes away soon. Not that I don't eat tons of greens too, but the dark browns (coffee too) seem to be a bit overrepresented at the moment in my diet. I shall be healthy vicariously through you!