Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I live for my work? When did THAT happen?

Photo courtesy of flickr

The last few weeks I kept saying, I'll just finish the first draft of this manual and then I'll catch up on my life.

Huh. And the ironic part is, I even believed it.

So today I finished the manual and sent the draft out for review. Usually that means in a couple of weeks someone sends back a sentence or two of comment. Bah. This project, I had three separate managers call me in for meetings. (Separately, naturally. God forbid they should work together on this project.) But after all the work I'd put in, I figured leaving half an hour early wouldn't hurt. (That's not as sybaritic as it might sound. If you've been working copious amounts of unpaid overtime, a little flexibility is understood.)

But no. Right before I was about to leave, I got an email from another manager on another project, demanding documentation on a project that hadn't even been tested yet. Which meant that I had to present as 'fact' information that was in reality something that could most accurately be described as 'in theory.'

Mind you, the manager in question left work early (right after sending the email) so I couldn't (metaphorically) slap him upside the head and ask what on earth he was thinking.

I want to get back to a regular routine of exercise and eating them damn green leafy things. I just don't want to go on unemployment to do it. Methinks this is one of those 'Mary, Get Assertive' moments that I keep being sent. Argh.

That's all, I just wanted to whine. Don't mind me. Back to your regularly scheduled... er... schedules.

No exercise today.
For that matter, no lunch and a slice of pizza for dinner.
Work is going to get better. It will, it will, it will.


Crabby McSlacker said...

Grrr, how frustrating.

Hang in there! Those green leafy things are pretty forgiving. They'll just be happy to see you back.

Heather said...

oh I can so relate! that happened to me a few weeks ago. I worked crazy long hours and my one beacon of shining hope was to leave early on friday. well of course around 3 when I was plannign on leaving, all of the sudden all these changes had to be made to a project and I had to sit there unti lthey could be made. just about gave me a nervous breakdown. you hang in there!