Friday, January 15, 2010

Who cares if I lose weight?

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

For all my bitching when I fail to drop a pound, it's still just numbers on the scale. I'm posting this here so I don't lose track of my fundamental goal.

What I want is to be fit: to be able to run and not get out of breath, to be flexible enough to do all the yoga poses that the instructor can, to get down on the floor and do a bunch of push ups just because.

I think it will be easier to do all these things if there's less of me trying to do them, and I think that I will get thinner as I practice living in a healthy way, but being thin is not really the point. Being able is the point.

Exercise du jour: Cycling to work & back. If I can fit it in, an hour of yoga as well.
Did an hour's worth of walking instead. In the rain, which as I've previously stated carries a lot of weight with me. Or at least it carried a lot of weight with my sweater. I know I said cycling today, but I woke up too late. Besides, when it comes to exercise it's good to be flexible. Off to do some yoga, to be even more flexible.

4 comments:

LaShaune said...

do you hear that....

here's your round of applause!!!!

Shelley said...

Love that last line...being ABLE - you've hit the nail on the head with that one.

McB said...

And can I just add this thought? Sometimes the people who have the big losses in the first weeks are the ones who lose heart when that slows down. And it will slow down. They get discouraged and slip back into the bad habits.

You've lost 4 inches at the waist? That's FABULOUS! Have you actually looked at a ruler and SEEN how much 4 inches is? It's a third of a freaking foot! And if you don't think 9.6 pounds sounds like much, next time you're at the grocery story, grab a 10lb bag of potatoes and lug it around while you finish shopping. It's a LOT of weight. It's more weight than simple numbers can convey. Look at that sack of potatoes, babe. That's 10 pounds that you are no longer carrying around!

chlelmu - weight training using root vegetables.

messymimi said...

You have the right goal.