Sunday, January 31, 2010

New goal: not drowning, but waving



Quote du jour: Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about dancing in the rain.
- stolen from Fat Frumpy and Fifty, who leveraged it from Joanne, whoever that is. If anyone knows the original source, I'd love to add that credit here too.


Okay, I have a new goal for this week. I'm going to keep my head above water and not get swamped with work, more work, cramps, or work. Last night I got some sleep, which helps too.

I'm going to repeat the running from last week, and I will ride the bicycle to work three days this week. I find it does help to tell myself that it's okay to ride the Max partway. I still get more cycling in than if I'd given up and taken the evilSUV to work.

Site du jour: Reluctant Memsahib captured a few peaceful moments of a sunset walk. Beautiful photos. I had no idea Africa could be so green.

Exercise du jour: Jog 2.5 miles
Done! It was interesting: I went out extra, EXTRA slow at first. Even so, I hated the first 10 minutes. The next 10 minutes I spent planning where I was going to stop to walk for a minute. By the 20th minute I'd turned the corner (literally and physiologically) and found myself thinking of other things instead of stopping. Tried to sprint the last two blocks and only managed to sprint one before going back to a jogging pace. That's okay, next time that's a mini-goal.

Photo courtesy of:

5 comments:

Tricia said...

I want to get into cycling too. Once I ditch the boot....
And buy a bike....
And helmet....
And spandex shorts.. :)

Hope you have a great week!

The Merry said...

Yeah, the bike and the helmet are essentials. I hope the boot gets given the boot soon!

messymimi said...

Excellent about the exercise! You are blessing yourself by taking a rest, then restarting and doing as much as you can.

attrice said...

That picture gives me the most intense yearning for spring rain. It's probably because it is awful and cold and bare here, but I just keep looking at that picture and I feel like I can smell it. Is it really not even February yet?

I dream of being someone who rides a bicycle to work/school, but I'm terrified by the thought of riding on the streets of my town. Non-bicycle friendly streets plus stupid college kids = nightmare scenarios.

Dr. J said...

"I had no idea Africa could be so green"

If Columbus was smart, he would have sailed south, and we would all be Africans now living in much better weather!