Monday, September 26, 2016
I suspect it's the changing of the seasons... the whole getting darken the morning thing... that makes it harder to keep to exercise-or-else mindset. I don't seem to do very well with transitions. Once things get back on track, I'm fine. So then, logically, the thing to do is just pretend that things are on track. Fake it until the seasons and my circadian rhythm catch up.
- AM:15 minutes dancing Fail
- Noon:30 minutes dancing Fail. Life is interfering with my plans.
- PM:60 minutes dancing Done. I accomplished ONE thing today. That's good enough.
Friday, September 23, 2016
It is a day of meh. Cold, rainy, want to curl up under a comforter and read comfort books. Don't want wave my arms around and scare the cat with my jumping jacks. Gonna do it anyway.
- AM: 15 minutes calisthenics. I'll incorporate some moves from that video, but I don't want to follow it today. Fail. I kept saying "in a few minutes, I'll get up from the desk." If you do that long enough, you run out of morning.
- Noon: 30 minutes dancing. Done! Got the blood going.
- PM: 60 minutes walking. If it's raining too hard, I'll try more dancing. Be flexible, that's the goal. In more ways than one. Well, I spent an hour heaving the elliptical around, and that thing weighs a ton. I'm inclined to count that as exercise. Ellipticals are work no matter how you look at it.
Wednesday, September 21, 2016
SEASON of mists and mellow fruitfulness!
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;
Conspiring with him how to load and bless
With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eaves run;
To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees,
And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core;
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells
With a sweet kernel; to set budding more,
And still more, later flowers for the bees,
Until they think warm days will never cease,
For Summer has o'er-brimm'd their clammy cells.
- John Keats, To Autumn
I like poetry as much as the next English major, but even so... "For Summer has o'er-brimm'd their clammy cells" is a lousy line. (Yes, I dare to defy Keats.)
I'm not feeling any mellow fruitfulness in the air; it's cold. I want to stay in bed in the mornings and snuggle into the blankets, not be up and doing with a heart for any fate. That includes exercise.
I have not been doing well with that dratted exercise video. In part because I don't have the right cable to connect the laptop to the TV, in part because it's a bit intimidating that I can't go as fast as the instructor. I'm going to stick to trying that for 15 minutes and doing something else (jogging in place, jumping jacks, dancing) for lunch. Then a brisk walk for the afternoon exercise.
In a way, this is good. I like breaking up the exercise into different types. Well, no, that's a lie. I like exercise that I don't have to think about, hence my love affair with the elliptical. But it's better for the body if I break up the exercise into different types, so it doesn't get too used to one type of workout.
- AM: That dratted online video for 15 minutes. Done! I got to the point where she starts doing pushups while sticking one leg up in the air behind her. The woman's good.
- Noon: 30 minutes jumping jacks, jogging in place, dancing. Keep it moving, that's all. Done!
- PM: 60 minutes walking. Maybe I'll start to appreciate autumn if I'm out in it more. 30 minutes. I dallied at work. Must Try Harder!
Monday, September 19, 2016
- AM:15 minutes video Done
- Noon:32 minutes video Fail
- PM:60 minutes raking those leaves, since the dang trees seemed to have shed a whole new lot of leaves onto the lawn. Fail. My lawn has disappeared beneath leaves.
Friday, September 16, 2016
- AM:15 minutes video Done! I didn't do everything quite as peppily as the instructor, but this does provide a workout.
- Noon:32 minutes video Fail. Put it off, due to work, which is dumb but I did it.
- PM:60 minutes raking those leaves, since the dang trees seemed to have shed a whole new lot of leaves onto the lawn. Semi-fail. Took a long walk instead. The leaves are still there, waiting for me. Lurking.
Wednesday, September 14, 2016
I seem to have broken the elliptical. The wheel is making groaning noises and the pedals are very hard to move.
I am far from gruntled. It had one job...
Now I'm going to have to concentrate on clearing the exercise space so I can work out with some exercise DVDs while I wait for the elliptical to be repaired. As soon as I find where I put the warranty information. I'm sure it is around... somewhere...
- AM: 15 minutes of running in place, jumping jacks, anything to get the blood moving. Done. I haven't done jumping jacks since middle school, but they still do work on the body. Who knew.
- Noon: 30 minutes yardwork. If I do it vigorously enough, surely all that bending over and hauling branches around will count for something. Done!
- PM:60 minutes raking the leaves. Thankfully, my kind trees have all decided to start shedding this week, so it really could take me an hour to get all this done. Done
Monday, September 12, 2016
- AM:15 minutes elliptical Done! Got my heart rate, which considering how unmotivated I was when I started, is surprising. But I'll take it.
- Noon:30 minutes elliptical Done. Eventually. If you consider 'noon' to be 3 pm.
- PM:60 minutes elliptical Done. Late, but done.