Thursday, January 21, 2010

Made it through the Couch to 5k

funny sports pictures, Chidi Imoh, Carl Lewis and Andrés Simón


Wow. I made it. Had to slow down a bit in the last two weeks, but still made it at a pace that's -- for me -- faster than walking.

I've decided not to worry about my pace right now. The goal is to run at a speed that gets my breathing rate up (but not to gasping level), and at a speed that doesn't injure the legs.

Next week, I'll start measuring the running by mileage rather than time.

Site du jour: Kitty tells it all. If I'm ever faced with the possibility of being a single woman at a Turkish wedding in London, I will now be prepared.

Exercise du jour: Week 9, Day 3, C25k. 30 minutes running.
Done! Indoors, and thus slow, but I do think the tendons prefer it that way. Plus, 5 miles walking.

13 comments:

kaitlin said...

Yay, congrats on finishing the program! Do you have a 5K race you are signed up for??

C said...

Congrats!!! Don't worry about your pace yet. Just get your body used to running regularly and then you can sprinkle in a bit of speed. This was what I didn't do when I first started and I got shin splints all the damn time.

LaShaune said...

Whoop! Whoop! (yes, Arsenal Hall fist pumping)...Congratulations! You'll be running the NYC Marathon before you know it!

Thanks for the site du jour - that was hilarious!

Hilary said...

Way to go!! Coincidentally, last night I did Week 1, Day 1 of the C25K program :). I don't have a plan about how I'm going to finish this, but I'll keep plugging along as long as I don't injure myself.

adorkable said...

AWESOME! I'm working on the plan to and just hit 20 minutes running last week! I, too found that I had to slow my pace for endurance. Good job, super inspiring! :D

JavaChick said...

Way to go Merry!

RebeccaJ said...

Oh No, another blog that I HAVE to add. I need to whittle down my choices-she's hysterical.

Congrats on the run!

messymimi said...

Excellent job! Congratulations!

And extra kudos for working at your own pace.

Amy said...

Congrats on the run! Woo hoo!
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. If you ever locate one of those shirts you mentioned, you have got to let me know. It sounds too much like me!
I am usually in the back of the pack, starting to learn that this is o.k.though.
So, good for you on going at your own pace. I find it is much more enjoyable that way.
Are you familiar with John Bingham and his writing? He's a runner, and a great writer, and he runs at a slow pace. And proud of it. I figure if he can do it then I can learn to do the same right?
Keep up the great work!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Awesome! I knew you could do it. And bonus points for being smart about injuries at the same time.

Now off to go check out the site du jour!

266 said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What a huge accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! That's awesome!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Woohooooo! Well done.