Friday, January 15, 2010

Damn

Site du jour: http://mollyinhaiti.blogspot.com/

I'm no good with a large-scale tragedy. I can't comprehend it until I find a human to attach to it. This blog was written by a young woman who -- until the earthquake -- had been a volunteer at an orphanage in Haiti. She cared for abandoned babies at the hospital. The blog features several of these children's photos: smiling, sad, hopeful or afraid. It talks about their struggles and victories: learning to walk, learning to smile, connecting with one of the volunteers or another child.

I learned this woman's fate because she had a local connection, so it was on the local news. I wish I knew what happened to the children, though at the same time I'm afraid to ask.

10 comments:

RebeccaJ said...

The whole scenario is so sad, I found myself crying today while watching the coverage. That poor woman's family, they must be so devastated.

Tricia said...

My thoughts and prayers are with her family and all of those effected.

On the Bright Side said...

Thanks for posting this. I think I understand what you are saying about not being good with large-scale tragedy. For me, the emotions don't come out until I can really sit with it and let myself grasp it. Which is hard to do, because sometimes it's easier just to go about life and not crumble. I'm ready to crumble now though (weekend, support) so I'll read the article. :)

Gigi said...

So much tragedy - it is incomprehensible. Really puts things in perspective. Thanks for this link - she was a very special woman.

Lou said...

Merry, One of the orphanages that I heard about on the news is OK. It was outside of town. A little girl who had been adopted by a US couple was in that orphanage waiting to get her visa and passport so her new parents could take her to the US.

The little girl was found unharmed. Don't know if it's the same place...

And yes, the destruction is beyond belief - especially since Haiti was such an impoverished country to begin with...

messymimi said...

I know people who work in Haiti, and have supported children through Mission to Haiti for years. I cannot imagine what they are going through right now.

Crabby McSlacker said...

So sad.

And I'm like you--I have trouble absorbing all the ramifications on the large scale, but can feel immensely sad about individual stories.

orangehands said...

It's a credit to who you are that you go looking for that individual face in the wake of a tragedy, rather than bypass it as another news story.

Alison said...

OMG! Please warn a person when you're going to send them to a blog of a person who just died in such a tragedy!

That said, I agree that it is all hard to comprehend without an actual person to attach it all to. Thanks for giving us that.

Hilary said...

Yes, I get what you're saying exactly. I saw this blog from another's link and it seemed to hit harder than that bigger picture. Such a heartache.