Friday, January 01, 2010

My First 5k


New Year's Eve is a time for reflection...

Notes on the Portland First Run 2010

  • At the start, I could see the full moon, and stars shining between the clouds. It was warm, about 50.

  • By the end, I was completely drenched, every layer soaked and clinging to the skin, and the temperature had gotten a lot colder. (I would've thought I would have felt a bit warmer, at least while I was moving.)

  • The city had shut down Naito parkway so we could run in the road. Along the route, people came out onto their balconies and cheered as we went past. We were part of the New Year's show.

  • At the start of the run, I remember one couple sprinting alongside on the sidewalk. He was wearing a suit, she had taken off her high heels and was running in her short silvery glitter dress. They weren't part of the run, but I was impressed with their sprinting ability.

  • At the party afterward, all I wanted was a cup of water. None of the runners I saw had one. Every volunteer I asked pointed me toward a booth where they were selling bottles of water. After the crowd had cleared, I finally found a table off in a corner where one guy was pouring water into cups. There were dozens of cups of water sitting there untouched.

  • Maybe it was something I ate. Earlier in the day, I thought my stomach was tying itself in knots because of race nerves or something, but it still hurt after I was on my way home. It did seem a bit unfair that in a Max train where I was probably one of the few sober people, I was the one feeling nauseated.

  • According to a self-appointed expert I met on the train, the newer Max cars can hold 947 people. If so, that's how many people I shared the ride home with. It was quite a festive atmosphere, like the party had spilled out of the bars and onto the train instead. Very happy group. It was sardine-room only, but still they cheered when one last optimist squeezed onto the train -- with his bicycle and a drum set. And for some reason, the crowd sang the National Anthem on the way home.
Dancing in the streets... or at least on the curb...

Summary: Despite my best intentions, I went out too fast at the start (it was either go fast or go under -- the crowd was packed tightly together and even the people dressed as walkers for some reason started out at a run). I ended up getting winded and walking a lot more than I'd planned, which is discouraging. Nevertheless, my calf muscles are sore today, so I must have gotten something of a workout. I think my sour mood today is based partly on the lack of sleep. I went to bed after four, and the dog got me up early because she needed to use the facilities. You'd think a dog that smart would've worked out how to let herself out.

14 comments:

WapakGram said...

I'm glad to hear that you made it home. I like the National Anthem being sung on New Year's. It might catch on.

Good for you to get out and do the 5K. Now you can try one in the daytime!

filin- the person who lets the dog out when you are too tired.

Shelley said...

What a wild time! Congratulations on finishing your 5K - that is an awesome achievement!!!

RockStarTri said...

Congrats! This was a big accomplishment. Make sure you celebrate it properly.......then do another!

Brennig said...

I have a friend, Vanessa, she's 40, who runs 5 miles in her lunchbreak Monday to Thursday every week without fail. She runs 5k races for a running club and averages 17m 23s in her last few races. The last time I ran a 5k I did 15m 38s but the winner was over the line in 14m 10s. Vanessa runs three Halfs and one Full a year. I think she's bonkers.

Theresa said...

Well done, Merry!! It's hard not to go out to fast in a race, but remember you did it! Your first 5k!! It definitely sounds like a New Years that you will remember.

McB said...

You did it!

Jingsnes: a happy feeling of accomplishment.

Tricia said...

Congrats!

And really? SELLING bottled water at a race?Crazy.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Merry!! So proud of you :)

Eidlhe

Gigi said...

Congrats!! Well done!

Lou said...

Merry - congratulations!! Good for you!! I hope your stomach feels better...

And I sympathize about the dog getting you up - mine do the same thing.

morsh - what you grumble when the dog gets you up.

messymimi said...

Very well done indeed!

For your next investment, may I suggest a large doggie door?

marie said...

Atta girl.

solarity said...

[applause!!!]

Glad it wasn't any colder.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Diane (TT) said...

Many congratulations! I hope that you're feeling better.

What an impressive way to begin the New Year.