Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A side benefit of being out of shape

The nice part about being unfit is that you can get a good workout in a lot less time. Half an hour's brisk cycling now has the same effect that a couple hours on the bike used to have.

So, that's a plus, right? The only drawback is that it's taking me waaay too long to get to work in the morning.

Today, I'm going to put myself and my bike on the Max and head for work. Get off about halfway, and peddle in from there. Then cycle home at the end of the day.

This way, I can a)sleep in a bit b)get to work feeling wide awake (boy, will the boss be surprised) and c) not feel overwhelmed by the thought of cycling in the whole way.

Site du jour: I really liked Smaller Fun Pants' post on how to deal with that little nagging voice inside you.

Exercise du jour: Cycling. I'm aiming for 13 more than two miles. There, I've put it down on the screen.
Well, sorta done. Kinda.13 is a terribly unlucky number. What was I thinking?
Anyway, woke up terribly late. If I hadn't posted it up on the blog, I'd have said @!#% and driven the car. As it was, my bike and I rode the Max all the way in, and I promised to make up for it on the way home. Then I ended up working a couple hours later than anyone else (all alone in the night... she was the last of the babbling tech writers...). So I compromised by taking the Max partway home and cycling the rest. Plus a three-mile walk at lunch.

7 comments:

C said...

Good luck cycling today! My bum gets sore after 6 miles. I can't even imagine 13. Ouchie.

Shelley said...

I like your side benefit! I have never ridden 13 miles in my adult life but now suddenly I want to - um, next week. Good luck today...I like your plan!

And I've always wanted a twin, so there, it's official!!! I will put your 5K on my sidebar - I love this idea of us all running on the same day.

LMI said...

Well, I'm relieved to know there is a benefit to being out of shape. About damn time I came across one;-)

Liz Hinds said...

THanks for visiting.

I am very impressed with your fitness regime!

messymimi said...

I like your win-win-win style of thinking.

Yes, you can do it.

Crabby McSlacker said...

That is SO smart! It seems like it would be really easy to see it as an "all or nothing" situation, and opt for "none." But splitting the ride in half is a brilliant way to get back in the saddle, so to speak.

Lu said...

I think it's great that you can bike to work. You're doing great with your workout regime.