Sunday, January 03, 2010

Into every shin a little pain must fall




No pain, no gain is not a rule that I can live by. All I gain from pain is a kind of grumpy patience.

Last winter, when I started the C25K, my goal was to jog (very timidly, very sluggishly) for half an hour without something breaking inside. I really did not know if this overweight body could do that kind of exercise at at all. Because I was so slow and safe, I had very little problem with injuries. (Also, I didn't really get into that great shape. I mean, little old ladies could walk faster than I was jogging. Hell, I could walk faster than I was jogging.)

Over the summer, I got impatient with this hold-back attitude. And paid for it with those nasty shin splints that flare up again when I try to do too much. It's hard to balance between safety and stagnation. (Whine du jour: life is hard. Waah. Okay, done now.)

Each time it hurt, I rested, took things easy, and cursed a bit. Then I went back to exercising.

This winter, the goal was to do the C25K and actually run when the podcast told me to, rather than shuffling along at Almost-Faster-Than-Slug speed. The shins complained a bit, but they were not jumping up and down screaming for ice packs.

Until now. (Waah.)

Methinks I overdid things a bit last Thursday. Going to do the 25 minutes sloooowly.

Exercise du jour: Week 7 Day 1 of the C25k
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 25 minutes. Not just slowly, but sloooooooowly.

1/2 star. Made it halfway, but the leg pain (tendon on the side of the leg) was getting worse. Does grinding my teeth constitute exercise?
Still, after two cups of coffee I couldn't just sit there. So I invented a new sport: one-legged dancing. Kept the bad foot close to the floor and let the other leg do kicks, with my arms flailing and hips twisting and probably everything else jiggling as well.
If the dog ever learns how to operate the video camera, I'm screwed.

Photo courtesy of:

9 comments:

Losing 100 said...

Love your blog. Love your humor! I feel for you. After taking a two week vacation over Christmas break, and exercising only once, I hit the gym hard on Friday and Saturday. I feel great, except that my calf muscles want to disown me.

messymimi said...

You hurt, so you try something different. You don't let it totally stop you.

Thanks for the inspiration.

carpeviam said...

Ice, ice baby! ;)

Annie, The Amazing Shrinking Girl said...

Shin splints are the worse and I've lived with them my entire life until recently. I've been using a foam roller before and after each running session and I haven't had them since! Totally look into foam rolling if you don't already. Hope it helps

JavaChick said...

Oh Merry. That pain does not sound pleasant at all. But you have not lost your ability to make me laugh. :)

Anonymous said...

Coach Husband says that walking on your heels is supposed to help shinsplints along with rolling a partially frozen water bottle up and down your shins.

You're going to get through this. You're doing great so far and I know you can continue.

Annie, Would love to know what you are supposed to do with the foam rollers.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Oh dang, how frustrating. But that's great that you're trying to work around it. (And I'm hoping for video just as soon as they invent dogcams!)

Dr. J said...

Merry, what kind or surface are you jogging on, and are you wearing well cushioned shoes? I got shin splints while running track in college, The surface was hard, and the shoes not cushioned. Ever since I wised up and ran with good shoes on a soft surface, never had the problem again. Hope this is helpful!

The Merry said...

Hi Dr J,

I was running on pavement; the city shut the road for the 5k. I'll try to run on softer ground next time.