Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Useful tips and sundry trivia

Now that I have your ear, Mr. Van Gogh...
Mishmash of things I wanted to note:
Sixteen edicts of exercise
Fifteen tips to restart the exercise habit
Seven secrets of being popular
Six good eating habits that will help prevent cancer

And some sundry trivia that I found completely charming.

You are probably familiar with the concept of the odd collective nouns in the English language. No doubt you've heard of a "herd" of cows, a "flock" of sheep or seagulls, a "gaggle" of geese. You might even be familiar with some of the more abstruse (i.e. plain wacko) collective nouns. For example a collection of crows is referred to as a "murder" of crows.

James Lipton (of the "Actor's Studio" program on Bravo) published a whole book of these nouns (An Exaltation of Larks). I can see no way to work these into a regular post, but I found them quite charming, so I'm inflicting sharing some of them here:

A dish of gossips
A bellyful of bores
A curse of creditors
A Kerouac of deadbeats
A stall of procrastinators
A score of bachelors
A freeze of virgins
A hangout of nudists
A spread of centerfolds

It's hard to stop.

9 comments:

Theresa said...

If you follow the link to six good eating habits, toward the end of the article they list 8 steps recommended by the American Cancer Society for cancer prevention.

I definitely agree with the next to last one: Avoid moldy grains and legumes

:)

The Merry said...

Yes, I wondered about that one too. Apparently mold is a problem with peanuts. Moldy grains made me think of ergot.

Anonymous said...

Yikes, mold is a cancer problem? I tend to not worry so much if my poor food hygiene results in a stomach ache, but cancer is a different story. Perhaps I should start start tossing more stuff rather than cutting around it.

And how about An Irrelevance of Bloggers?

And a Smug of Runners?

A Sleaze of Discount Mortgage Brokers?

-----
rhybvb--just scraped a big green culture of rhybvb off my toast, should I still eat it?

The Merry said...

Yikes! Never eat green rhybvb, McSlacker! Very bad for you. :(

What would be the collective noun for a collection of comments?

Anonymous said...

A ream of comments?


I have a poster of these collective nouns hanging in my laundry room, some interesting ones on it. I like "An ostentation of peacocks."

Keziah Fenton said...

What? No whack of CBs?

I wouldn't eat the green rhybvb either? It tastes weird.

Now the green lylzdlp below almost sounds like a creamy dip - for those non-moldy legumes.

Anonymous said...

I love 'em! Your collective nouns are awesome.

Keziah Fenton said...

It's true what Virginia Wolff said about exercise stimulating writing. I keep coming up with plot and character stuff while walking with Ky. If I actually wrote a third of it down, I'd have a book in a week LOL

The Merry said...

So, Miss Keziah, maybe bring a little tape recorder on your next outing with Ky, and make notes?

I think my favorite collective noun is a Lot of car salesmen. I'm easily amused.