Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sometimes you just have to Marvel

Had I but money enough, and time,
This floor plan, lady, were no crime.

My search, like a feng shui workshop, should flow
Smoother than escrow and less slow.


- To his coy realtor, Andrew Marvel (attributed)*



I mean, who puts the master bedroom smack up against the kitchen?
Why build bedrooms too small for a double bed, but a garage that could fit a fleet of cars and a couple of medium-sized yachts?
Why in the name of all that's logical would you place a garden shed right up against the house so that it completely blocked the only window in a bedroom? (This shed was in quite a large backyard, forpete'ssake.)

I think I could do marvelous things with some of these houses if I had tons of money ... and maybe a bulldozer... but it would involve a lot of work. Well, not for me personally, but for the large number of tanned, lithe construction workers whom I would hire to do my bidding… sigh.

I think I'm tired of looking at houses. That's probably why I've fallen in love with an inappropriate house. I know full well it's much more sensible to buy a rundown 3 bedroom and fix it up, but this other house is so nice! Older houses have good "bones." (And not so good plumbing sometimes, or electricity, or ... yeah, yeah, I know, I know.)

I think I should stop looking at Offbeat Homes. Is there a blog out there called "Deadbeat Homes"? If not, perhaps I should start one.


*(Attribution disputed by one or two pretty much every reputable literary critic.)

10 comments:

Keziah Fenton said...

I've been wrestling with my Inner Slug(does that count as exercise?) for the past hour. So I hopped over here for inspiration and you have photos of lovely houses, with a toaster and coffemaker, warm areas, completely unlike the freezing crisp air into which I plan to drag my Inner Slug. I'm losing the battle.

I have two hours before I have to get ready for work. If I spend one writing I can walk for the other. Then I cane have the warm toast and hot cup of tea.

Good luck today!

The Merry said...

Keziah, I think inner slug-wrestling counts. Each time we beat the dang slug, we come out stronger.

I've started doing the aerobics video for 20 minutes before I drag myself out into the cold. At least that way I'm fairly warmed up, and it takes a few minutes longer for the full force of the cold weather to hit me. (And thus I'm farther away from my front door and have to get more exercise running back.) But I'm not in your league, weather-wise. Maybe you guys should move to Oregon for the winter?

Keziah Fenton said...

Ky and I would love that. But the bill paying opportunities are here.:(

The Slug won this morning but the word count is up so it's a trade-off. It's almost as cold inside the house as out so you'd think I wouldn't care. But I do. Usually I'm more inclined to walk when it's horrible weather out. Something to do with the perverse nature of my personality.

Tomorrow is all about Ky(he has an appointment in the morning) so I'm confident we'll get out there for a run

Anonymous said...

I don't know if that kitchen is the one all up on the bedroom, but I must say, I like the setup of that kitchen.

Slug is my middle name. Ok, it's Marie, but close enough.

The Merry said...

Me, that kitchen is from the lovely house that's right next to a 2-1/2 story townhouse. I'm trying to think up ways to make the lack of yard-privacy less of an issue. Anyone? Anyone?

Keziah, you realize we are ALL EXPECTING you to get out and run with Ky tomorrow, don't you? (I don't know if guilt is something that helps get you motivated, but if it is -- we can help :) Whatever works.

Diana Swallow said...

I was showing a house once, they wanted a pantry in the kitchen so they moved the refrigerator to the back porch...ummmm thats just WRONG! I hope the right home for you finds you soon! Good luck!

Heather said...

LOl well at least you are getting all of hte bad ones out of the way first!

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to walk away from a great-looking house with fatal flaws. We've had to do that a couple times, and especially if you've been looking at ugly dogs you just want to leap at the few that come along that are pleasant and bright and nicely fixed up.

On the other hand... we haven't regretted holding out, especially in a buyer's market, as each time we've resisted temptation something better has come along. (After falling in love with gorgeous places that had NO space to put anything). It's like falling in love vs. finding a spouse--you need the right combo of sexy and practical to make it work for the long haul, and that can take time to find!

But a lot depends on what the most important things are, and also sometimes you realize they aren't what you first thought. Maybe the private yard thing isn't really a big deal.

God, I'll shut up now... I've been so house-obsessed for the last month I could yammer on all day.

Oh, and Deadbeat Homes... that totally cracked me up!

McB said...

Gotta tell you, Mary, hardly anyone in a townhouse actually uses their backyard. I don't know why, but it seems to be true. I can be out back working for hours and never know anyone is around. I even enjoy sitting on my deck when the weather is nice because it's so unusual for anyone else to be around. My theory is that people get townhouses because they want more space than an apartment but don't really want to deal with a yard.

Anonymous said...

I for one don't think you should stop looking at Offbeat Homes... although Deadbeat Homes would be fun too in it's own special way. There are plenty of horrid homes out there to draw inspiration from. I'd visit even though I think Offbeat has made me sort of a house snob :) Also, thanks so much for the link love.