Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Aliens cause migraines, and other True Stories

Well, I'm going to blame my headache at least in part on aliens.

I have two computer monitors at work. Lately the main one has been "blinking," that is, it stops showing me whatever it is supposed to be showing me, and instead for a split-second displays a white screen with black text on it. Various computer gurus in my vicinity claim that the computer needs a new video card, but I suspect that it's actually a subliminal message system set up by those pesky aliens. Since I've turned the damn monitor off, the extended headache has subsided considerably. (I wonder what the aliens were trying to get me to do?)

And another "two thumbs up" to whichever demi-God is in charge of guilt. It would have been so easy to not go run tonight. It was really dark outside (gets that way at night) and the temperature was already hovering at freezing. Wah. But if I had bailed, I would have had to confess it, and I would have felt a complete fool. Does Keziah not walk because it's cold out? Christina's out running in the cold and the dark, and Theresa's having to dodge men in kilts and rabid haggis to do her run.

Once I actually got out there, of course, it wasn't nearly as dark or as freezing as it had been before I started. (I'm not saying I liked it, in case anyone's *cough* Marie *cough* checking. Just that it wasn't so bad.) This time last week I tried a couple of jog/walk sessions of 2 minutes each. I must be slowing my pace down, because I did that 11 times tonight, and felt fine. (It's possible I might be improving a bit as well. There is always that possibility. Maybe.)

11 comments:

marie said...

You LOOOOOOOOOVE it! Don't lie!!

And what's with the coughing? Do you have a cold now too? :P

Or is it the cold air wheeze? I get them after running when the temps dip. They ain't pretty!

TOTALLY freaked ~ With all of this talk of aliens, look at my verification word!

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Aliens. Yeah ... that's the ticket. ::shifty eyes::

marie said...

boo. my word said klones :(

C said...

Yay Mary! You've inspired me to get off my lazy bum and go for my second walk/run of the week tomorrow morning. You are truly an inspiration. At least to my very great sense of guilt. ;)

Keziah Fenton said...

Honestly, Mary, you're the reason I get my ass out the door on the mornings that I manage it. It was pouring rain this morning,a hard, cold driving rain. But Ky gave me the look - the I'm-telling-Mary-you-didn't-walk-me look so off we went. And enjoyed it because it felt so good to strip off the soaked clothes and hop into a warm shower. So thanks, from Ky and I for inspiring us to get out there as often as we do.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Shoot, I thought I already commented here but the aliens must have sucked it right off the page! Good for you for getting your ass out there. But not nearly enough whining, in my opinion. Are you turning into one of them, the Cheerful Motivated people? The horror!

Diana Swallow said...

when in doubt, blame the aliens!!

McB said...

Oh now wait a minute, do you honestly expect me to believe that Theresa is DODGING those men in kilts? I think not.

Akvlb which is alien for "pull the other one"

Anonymous said...

Y'know, McB, you might be onto something there. Remember how Theresa keeps telling us that there really aren't that many M.I.K. in Scotland? How can that be? I mean, every movie I've ever seen that's set in Scotland has some guy in a kilt in the background.

I think Theresa maybe just wants to discourage us from coming over to visit -- she wants them all for herself. ;)

Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Hey, Mary—happy Thanksgiving! All of us commenters are thankful for you and your blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you, Katharine! Happy Thanksgiving!