Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Peaceful thoughts

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. -Buddha

Good positive thoughts.


There are 1,950,000 people in the Portland area.
I met 1 who was a jerk.

Therefore, there are 1 million, 949,999 other people around.
Math is not my strong point, but I'm willing to bet that the odds are good a large number of them are fairly decent people with good will and peace toward their fellow human.

_________________________________________________
A thank you to all the kind supportive people out there! I really do appreciate all the positive thoughts. That woman in the red sedan probably doesn't have any friends; I am lucky.

And thank you Keziah -- I did run tonight after all. Frosty clear night, moon rising behind the trees, beautiful experience. I would have missed all that.


Also -- iPods are really neat.
_________________________________________________

6 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

What a great way to look at it.

I also tend to think that the assholes get what's coming to them eventually, and the best way to cope is to do what exactly what you're doing and not let them get to you too much.

McB said...

Like squeaky wheels, the jerks almost get noticed. I too like to believe that these people will get what's coming to them. Unfortunately, we may not always get to witness it. More's the pity.

BCB said...

Geez. I don't read your blog for ONE DAY and come over here to find you thinking up convincing reasons to stop biking to work. So your inner slug drives a red sedan? Good to know. I'll try to stay out of its way -- if I'm ever in Portland.

Good for you for attempting the whole positive thoughts thing. Me? Hell no. I'm going to sit here and seethe on your behalf for a while.

You sure you're ok?

McB is right (do not tell her I said that). I've heard karma can be a bitch too.

Heather said...

somtimes I feel like its reversed and I meet all the bad ones rather than the good. but I guess its nice knowing they are out there. Sorry that you had to meet a bad one!

The Merry said...

I drove the evilSUV today -- it was the nearest thing I could find to a suit of armor. And I called protective blessings down upon every cyclist I saw. Trying to play the role of a good motorist in the hope it would balance out the bad karma from yesterday.

The Merry said...

Wait a minute. McB and BCB agreeing on something??? Goodness!