Thursday, November 15, 2007

The power of guilt

The power of guilt is amazing.

Yesterday I dithered about cycling in to work until it was too late, and I had to drive. (The inner slug was quite pleased with itself.) Today I overslept and missed out on a chance to run in the a.m. So things were looking quite desperate. I had to run at night. In the rain. With a headache threatening to turn Nasty.

One of the edicts of exercise is that some exercise is better than none. I did 20 minutes jog/walk (2 repetitions 2/2, then 1/1 the rest of the session). In the rain. And the dark. Somewhere in the background a scratchy violin begins playing a mournful tune five miles uphill through the snow...

The headache isn't any better, but it isn't any worse either. And I got me a gold star to post on the blog. Could be worse.

Rain photo courtesy of flickr.

6 comments:

Keziah Fenton said...

Yay! Mary got a sta-ar, Mary got a sta-ar. Man it's hard to sing on a blog.

Theresa said...

Yea, Mary!!

I, unfortunately, waffled when I got home last night and again this morning. It's Friday and I haven't even done my second run this week! Argh.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Thanks Mary, this may help me get my ass out the door this morning. Am feeling MOST unmotivated!

The Merry said...

Wow, Keziah, your singing voice is quite impressive there.

And Theresa, waffles are very high in calories! I'm with you though -- I waffle frequently. That's why I felt I had to run last night; I wasn't sure how the knees would feel about doing a run two days in a row.

Crabby, maybe you could make it a short exercise session?

C said...

Yay Mary!

I feel the guilt, but sadly I'm still not doing anything. I went for one walk this week and haven't even attempted running. Tomorrow. Promise.

Heather said...

I think that is very true, any type of exercise be it simple walking, is better than nothing. I guess I need to take my own advice on this one too!