Thursday, September 29, 2011

Penultimate day of the 30 day push


Masks have real social value in that they allow you privacy and space in an often brutal world. But there is a price you pay for wearing a mask. Masks cause little deaths -- little soul deaths. When you wear a mask, nobody (not even you) gets to find out what you really need. And when you wear a mask, nobody (not even you) gets to find out what you really have to offer.
- Gordon MacKenzie, Orbiting the Giant Hairball: a corporate fool's guide to surviving with grace
The quote/picture aren't relevant to the blog post; I just thought them interesting.

Penultimate day of the 30 day push. I haven't always made the goal of 3 hours of exercise each day, but just by aiming for that goal I have managed almost always to get at least 1-1/2 to 2 hours a day. This was a good goal. I don't think I will try to continue with that level once I become gainfully employed again, but I will probably be able to do at least 1-1/2 hours of daily exercise. I'll aim for 2.

This must be a bit like what life is like for celebrities or people who go on The Biggest Loser. Being able to focus my attention and my time on exercise, being able to concentrate on just that goal. I know that once I start work again, I'll get caught up in doing the job. The hours I spend exercising will be spent doing nothing more than sitting in a car or on the Max. So in a way, being out of work is useful. If only I were one of the "idle" rich, I could get so much done!

Okay, whine done. Still waiting on Mr. Hopeful to come fix the hole in the wall. He came by yesterday, told me what he could do, how much it would cost, when he could start. All straightforward and positive, except that he warned me that he'd have to take his wife to rehab sometime today. (No, not that kind of rehab.) And so I sit waiting for him to call, so I will know when he can come by.

This probably means I'll have to do something Useful Around the House. Like cleaning it. Damn.

Luckily, this also means that I'll have time to get in exercise. Probably mostly ellipticalling. Some gardening, if the wasps don't mind. It's the time of year to plant tulips and other bulbs. I figure planting something now in the hopes that I will still be here in the spring to see them come up is an act of faith. The old woman who used to live here planted loads of bulbs; even though she's no longer around to enjoy them, maybe she's somewhere that she knows they're being appreciated.

Exercise du jour:
Morning - 1 hour elliptical
Done! And after I was finished, I -- wait for it-- took a shower! In my own bathroom! I feel so proud.




Noon - 1 hour gardening elliptical

Done! Had to fit it in around the workmen coming and going.




Night - 1 hour elliptical
half-done. I'm still putting up the star because the reason I stopped is that Damn Knee started to hurt. It's been at least three weeks since Damn Knee complained about an hour's worth of ellipticalling while it was in progress. Improvement.


Photo courtesy of iwinatcookie.

10 comments:

nancy said...

I'm hoping the hole in the wall, and whatever's on the other side, are not affected by the showering. Not sure how that's working but hope it is.

I'm also hoping there will now be some sort of a 31-day or 61-day or some other push. You've got a team you know; I believe you've inspired others besides me to join on.
I'm about to go out for my 2nd 1-hour walk of the day (my 6th day now).
In celebration of your next phase, I'd planned on adding daily squats, lunges and such, or something similar, to be done at home.

The Merry said...

Nancy, that's wonderful! I'm so glad you've done all that work! At this rate, you're going to need to start an exercise blog ;)

You might like the website 200 squats, which provides a program that lets you gradually work up to doing squat a lot:
http://www.twohundredsquats.com/

To access the shower innards, the plumber had to cut a hole on the office side of the wall. It doesn't interfere with my showering; it just looks terrible. Plus, I have everything in the office either covered over with a sheet or in boxes in my living room.

Shelley said...

The great thing about your 30 day push is that now "only" doing an hour and a half of exercise seems doable and easy...probably much like the Biggest Loser contestants feel when they go home "oh, I only have to exercise for 2 hours a day? pfft. easy!"

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

That's a major amount of exercise! WOW! Impressive.

nancy said...

I've just checked out that 200 squats site and see they've also got a program for doing 150 triceps dips, an exercise I'd somehow forgotten existed. Thank you for the suggestion.
I shall work on my plan. I shall also be moving things in preparation for doing those in-house exercises. See, you've provided more inspiration than you'd realized.
Deep breath. I'm motivated now, so we'll see ...

messymimi said...

Congratulations, you made it!

The Merry said...

Almost! I'm afraid to celebrate yet, for fear of jinxing something.

julia said...

I am hoping that reading about your workouts somehow makes me fitter.
Do you think it will?

The Merry said...

Absolutely!
No, seriously. Honest and for true.

My theory is that when I want to start eating more vegetables and fewer Twinkies, I start reading books by Joel Fuhrman and Dean Ornish and Neal Barnard. Quick summary of the books written by all 3 docs? Eat vegetables. Then eat more vegetables. But somehow, the act of reading chapter after chapter of pro-vegetable writing helps me mold my mind into that mindset. Likewise, reading post after post of someone who's clearly a bit unhinged re exercising might get you into the mindset. Doesn't mean your knees are going to spontaneously heal so you can run a marathon. Does mean that you might start to think of doing exercises that your body can do.

Crabby McSlacker said...

It's funny, I've been increasing my daily exercise time over the last couple weeks and I wonder if it's because you've been influencing me? I guess we'll see now that the 30 days are about up. Though it sounds like your goals are still pretty darn impressive. Thanks for supplying the vicarious motivation!