Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Exercise early, exercise often

cute puppy pictures - Dewd! Spot meh!
see more dog and puppy pictures

Quote du jour: With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable.
- Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Okay, finished week 1 of the 30 day push. No body parts fell off.

It takes a lot of discipline to do three hours of exercise a day. (Yeah, brilliant thought, Merry. Any more gems to share?) Specifically, it takes the discipline to exercise early and exercise often.

I am good at getting things done by the end of the day, but that doesn't work with this challenge. I have to get up and exercise first thing in the ... shudder morning. It's too early for that kind of thing, but there's no way I will be able to wait to the last minute and then do three hours on the elliptical. Posting the exercise up here does seem to be helping to make me follow through. Knowing that there are thousands some people who might check the blog to make sure I get it done does encourage me.

Exercise du jour:
Morning -- call me traditional, but it works. Going for that hour on the elliptical before it gets too hot.
Done!




Noon -- walking, preferably somewhere reallllllllly shady. I probably could get a workout trying to find parts in Home Depot to fix my air conditioner.


Done. Eventually. I mean, we're talking 20 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes walking, then 40 minutes elliptical, hey wait a minute aren't we into the evening exercise? Oh, shut up, conscience. There were the requisite number of minutes spent walking, even if they were accompanied by stress and angst. Don't ask me about the completely simple and ordinary small part for the air conditioner that I couldn't get for love or money or begging... unless I wanted to wait for three weeks' shipping time.


Night -- stretching, core-strengthening exercises.

Done. Finally. Eventually. Not according to the script, but done. We're talking 20 minutes walking, 20 minutes ellipticalling, more minutes walking, more ellipticalling. I have no idea how I'm supposed to figure this out on my internal calorie counter sheet, but I can vouch for the fact that the body was moved for the requisite 180 minutes du jour.

10 comments:

messymimi said...

Yep, i've gotten those "looking for something and have to walk about a mile and search high and low to find it in the big box store" workouts.

Good luck, you can keep it going.

nancy said...

You don't know me, but I thought I'd better let you know I HAVE been checking in [with hope that you'll succeed] and my own inner slug is beginning to feel guilty about being such a slothful sluggard, so I may have to make my own plan and begin it. I don't think I could manage anything like three hours, even at a gentle pace, but I will have to come up with something.
So far, I'm just sitting taller while I consider possible options. But each day I see you're continuing it gets more difficult to rationalize not starting a program of my own.
I don't know whether that's encouraging or guilt inducing, but it is true. And I WILL keep checking.

The Merry said...

MessyM, these days I've taken to printing out what I'm looking for and showing it to the big box salesman. Otherwise, they tend to shrug and say "we don't carry that" rather than bother to help look for it.

Hi Nancy! Thanks for the comment. It's good to know that you're out there, and yes it does help motivate me to workout. Hopefully, my motivation will in turn help motivate you, and your motivation will help motivate someone else, and... hey, wanna start a movement? :)

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles said...

We must be on the same wavelength today or something. I woke up and and shudder exercised first thing as well. Great minds think alike.

Now the important question: do you also have a bottle of white wine chilling in YOUR fridge??

The Merry said...

Wine? In my frig? Oh no, no, no. I'm a good girl I am.

(Whew! Good thing she didn't ask about beer... I mean, not that I usually, but it's 100 degrees and I don't have air conditioning and... and... gosh darn it, I just do, okay?)

Shelley said...

Love that puppy!

The only "problem" with your plan is that you get up and exercise, and then you don't even get the satisfaction of being done for the day...nope...two more hours still await!

I still bow to your tenacity in doing this - congrats on one week down!!!

Anonymous said...

Day three of trying to comment... perhaps I just haven't had anything nice to say? Nah!

Way. To. Go. YOU!!! This is so cool. I am very inspired by you right now. I trudged the neighborhood for 55 minutes. It's all I could handle, but hey, better than nuthin' that's for sure.
Julie

JavaChick said...

And I thought I was doing good to get in 45 minutes of exercise yesterday...

azusmom said...

Stress and angst are great cardio, aren't they? They sure get the heart pumpin'!

(And I, too, love that puppy!)

London Mabel said...

Yousa crazy! Good for you, go girl!!