Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Binary Gods and stray comets

Quote du jour, from the I Hope He's Kidding department:
Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
- Bill Gates


The Toastmasters thing went okay. It wasn't a typical meeting. They were holding a contest where people had to get up and make impromptu speeches and get judged on their performance. I didn't see any evidence of ritual human sacrifice; everyone looked ordinary and friendly. Could all be an act, I suppose. I'll need to attend a meeting during ordinary time to make sure.

It was odd, but I felt nervous for the people who'd been put on the spot to get up and give speeches, even though they'd volunteered to do it. The idea of doing this myself feels like trying bungee jumping when I'm not too sure about the bungee cord.

Another interview today. This time, I'm going to leave extra extra early, in case of traffic/earthquake/tsunami/tornado/stray comet falling out of the sky.

Exercise du jour: Um... I might cut this a bit short. I don't want to show up at the interview hot and sweaty, so I might only get in a couple hours of exercise in in the afternoon and evening. (Yes, I did say "only a couple hours of exercise" and yes, I know how that sounds.)
Done. 2 hours of light walking and DVDs to work the arms & core muscles. Might have enjoyed it if I weren't so tired. Been tired all day. The interview was quite pleasant, and there was a complete absence of Unlikely Occurrences to delay me.

5 comments:

julia said...

you forgot flat tyres and getting lost!

hope it goes/went well!

LaShaune said...

swarm of locust and impromptu exorcism are also great excuses for being late.

I'm sure you knock their socks off!

Anonymous said...

As long as you are aware of how that sounds...

Interview magic to you! And no disasters in your path (man-made or otherwise).
Julie

messymimi said...

Hope no wild animals escaped the zoo and snarled traffic, and that it all went well.

Toastmasters even has the "uh counter"; the person who counts how many times you say uh, um, things like that. These people are serious about improving their speaking skills.

The Merry said...

Yes, and they also judged people in this contest on body language. We tend to use the term body language without thinking, but it's accurate to describe it as a language, since it is a form of communication.