Monday, December 27, 2010

A goat? I'm sure I asked for a pony...

I now own a goat.

The good news is that someone else has to feed it and milk it and deal with any cleanup. Maybe they get to walk it as well.

Some charity organization lets you sponsor a goat or other useful whatnot for people in poorer parts of the world, so instead of buying presents for all her children, my mother bought us all goats. The grandchildren got the gift-wrapped goodies; I got to listen to my brother make jokes about how "that gets my goat."

Actually it's a good thing, feeble jokes aside. Most everyone I know already has everything they need. Indeed, many of them are trying to get rid of stuff, live simply. I like the idea of giving people things that they need instead of a gift they have to unwrap, exchange, and write a thank you note for.

Plus, I'd hate to try to take a goat on the plane.

HBBC:
12/24 - Walked 6 miles
12/25 - Walked 2 miles
12/26 - Walked 2 miles

Exercise du jour: Jog 3 miles

Oh hell. I'm floundering here. The parade of feeble excuses continues:
12/27 - Skipped the jog, did 30 minutes on the elliptical instead (2 points). Told myself it was okay since I'd been up since 4 in order to catch the damn plane.
12/28 - Skipped the jog, did 10 flights of stairs instead. (1 point). Would have gone jogging, but couldn't find an iPod. Couldn't face the thought of jogging without an iPod. So easily we become spoiled.
I wonder what feeble excuse will present itself tomorrow? One of these years, as God is my witness, I'll run again.
12/29 - Well, the excuse du jour is the weather. Mother Nature couldn't decide between hail, snow, rain and sunshine, so she gave me all of them. I couldn't be expected to run in sunshine, could I? Well, I could've if it had lasted for more than three minutes at a time. Sigh. At least I ate all my veggies (1 point)
12/30 - A measly 2 mile walk. Does eating my veggies still count? (3 points)

11 comments:

Dr. J said...

I hope these "charities" actually do some good for nice people and not only make us feel like we are helping someone. As a doctor, I've been lucky enough to directly "hand a goat" to those in need :-)

messymimi said...

Good for your mom. Yes, the reputable charities do actually give animals to people who need them. My Bigger Girl gives two chickens every year that way, it is her present to herself.

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

Neat gift. Goat milk is actually pretty good. I have a feeling you won't get any though. At least you don't have to take care of it! :)

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles said...

I love goats! Also, they like to go on walks...just like dogs.

On another note...just stumbled upon your blog. I can't believe it took me this long to realize I am a cranky sluggish fitness phobe...with a fantasy of actually becoming fit anyway...

I think we just might be cut from the same stone...

Shelley said...

That is a cool gift - but I bet the grandchildren were relieved to open real presents. Wait, that didn't sound right. Um, I'm sure they would have been happy with a goat. Really, they're good, noble kids. Haha, kid...goat...get it? OK, it's time to stop typing now. Glad you had a good Christmas, Merry. Oh! Another funny. OK, really stopping now. :)

Lu said...

I have a coworker who owns a goat, too. His son was in a 4H thing and the goat was unspoken for when the "time" came. He flipped out. He doesn't have to feed it, or clean it either, but I figure he'd like to turn a profit on it somehow. Not quite as noble.

The Merry said...

Hey! Quit kidding around, guys!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Teh 'Bride has been trying to get family members to agree to a moratorium, if not an outright halt, to gift-giving, for the very reason you cite: We don't effin' need anything.

So yeah, why NOT give people who DO need stuff a goat in your name. That sounds like a good idea to me. I love Christmas and all. But mostly I like seeing kids open gifts and get all excited, and so on. Personally? If I need something I buy it or acquire it some other way (don't ask; I'm a bit of a whoo-wer). Don't really need gifts, though I appreciate the thought.

So next year? It's GOATS FOR EVERYBODY at Chez Heisenberg!

Amy said...

i'm bummed you don't have a real goat in your backyard because I really want a goat. or a murder of goats. a gaggle. all of our neighbors have cute little horned beasts in their backyards and we don't, it's hard keeping up with the joneses around here.

CiCi said...

At least you are doing some exercise, and jogging is the worst in my opinion. I admire that you can say the word jog and attach it to something you want to do. Yikes. I walk and really like walking.

Gina Fit by 41 Maybe 42 said...

A goat would be nice to trim the grass. I wonder how Hansi would like it.

Anyway, not the point -- I like the idea your aunt had. Goats are a precious commodity in many cultures.