Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Last week of the C25k


Quote du jour: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
-Arthur C. Clarke

Quotes like this one tend to annoy me. I mean, basically he's saying you have to screw up before you can learn anything. It's probably true, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

Damn Foot is a case in point. I pushed Damn Foot until it developed the pinched nerve before I stopped and went to the foot doctor. Now I'm getting back into the running slowly enough that I'm not pushing past its limits. (It still hurts, but not especially after running. Usually it hurts most first thing in the morning, when my feet are swollen anyway. That, I can live with. For now.)

Exercise du jour: Week 9 of the c25k
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes).

Not really done, but I'm putting the star up for jogging 1 mile, walking 3.



HBBC: 5 (exercise & veggies)


Photo courtesy of Nevit Dilmen.

6 comments:

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

Good luck with Damn Foot and the last week of C25K. That was a scary one for me. You can do it!

Keith said...

The trick is getting a good grip on what impossible means. There are all sorts of things that people have done that were once thought impossible. But there are some things that are in fact impossible and the quicker you realize it the quicker you can move onto something more productive.

The Merry said...

That's a good point Keith. Used to be it was impossible for anyone to run a 4-minute mile... or so they thought. On the other hand, it's probably not possible for me to grow any taller :(

Thanks Kelly!

Nitmos said...

In The Perfect Mile, doctors were telling Bnnister that it would be impossible to break 4 minutes or, at the least, if you did you'd probably have a heart attack immediately.

messymimi said...

I think it is better to think of it as purposely setting yourself a goal that will stretch you, that you aren't sure you can meet. Not impossible, but just beyond what you have been able to do before. You strain and do your best, and if you have to try it over, you do. It keeps stretching you, and eventually you get there.

I'm glad the foot isn't too bad now, and hope it stays that way.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing C25k! It's a journey, and you should be proud to have made it this far. :)

Myself, I've been one of those 'run for time' c25k'ers, until I got on a treadmill and realized how slow I was! So I don't really feel like I've 'graduated' since I'm not running *far* enough yet...

Good luck, listen to your body, and keep pushing goals!