Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The chains of habit




Quote du jour: The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken.
- Samuel Johnson

I know this is true with bad habits. Hopefully the running habit works the same way.

Exercise du jour: Day 2, Week 8 of the c25k
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).
Done! I'm thinking maybe I should keep up with the heavy eating, even if I have now gained back four pounds. I mean, this run flew by. It was longer than I've run in months. Also, even though I had to walk for one minute, it was faster than I've run in months. I didn't even have to walk because I was short of breath. I had to walk because yesterday's stair climbing had tightened my calf muscles to the point where I thought they'd snap. After a minute's walking, they were fine for the rest of the way.
p.s. Whoever said exercising helps cramps was either a liar or a man.
Or, I suppose, both. That's possible. ;)



HBBC: 8 (4-1/4 miles walking, 2-3/4 miles jogging. Plus veggies.)
Illustration by Charles Bell

2 comments:

messymimi said...

Yes, it is.

Habits can be made or broken, too, with just the kind of efforts you are making.

Sheri_in_SD said...

Such a great quote, and so true!!! Congrats on nearing the finish of the Couch to 5k program - you're so close!!! :)