Thursday, April 15, 2010

After the storm


Quote du jour: Another unhappy truth that you might as well accept from the start is that life will never leave you alone. The demands of daily living will cut into your time, insist on your attention, shake you up badly, or sometimes even so delight you that you can't concentrate on writing. Or so you think. - Phyllis A. Whitney

Exercise du jour: Walking. Walking, walking, walking. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, spring-time and 70s. I'm too tired to do much -- mentally and physically -- but I will walk.
Done! Mostly because I had a friend walk with me, but wth, that's still a walk.



Oddity du jour:The H&R Block tax software walked me through the mysteries of filing taxes.
Under examples of "Other Income" that you're supposed to report, they have a bullet point listing 'illegal income' (but if it's illegal income from a business, report it under 'your own business').

Wow. Does the Mafia know they're supposed to do this?

11 comments:

Roxie said...

That's how the gmen get the bad guys - tax evasion. It's not for the other stuff that harder to prove....

The Merry said...

Yeah, but Roxie, do they expect the bad guys to 'fess up to the IRS? Isn't that self-incrimination or something?

Though I can see some guy running his own meth lab reporting his income. Kinda like the guy who called the police to report that his drug stash had been stolen.

Unknown said...

That really funny about the "illegal income"!
Walking is wonderful this time of year. It clears my head and it wears the kids out!!

The Merry said...

That's the nice part about having an older dog -- not having to come home, tired and cranky, and need to deal with a high-energy pup. (Kids or puppies = high energy. Fun, but still tiring.)

VRaz60 said...

Illegal income? Gotta look into that, cuz I'm sure it's taxed at a much lower rate.

LaShaune said...

too bad there isn't a box to tell the IRS it's none of their business!

You're sounding like Leslie Sansome: We're walking, we're walking...I love walk away the pounds.

josie said...

LMAO!

I hope you enjoy(ed) your walking, walking, walking. Did you take those photos? they're gorgeous.

The Merry said...

LaShaune, I don't think that they think there's anything that's 'not their business.' They'd probably get suspicious if I tried it :)

Josie, the walk was lovely. And thanks! These are photos of my yard last night.

The Merry said...

Vraz, you think they give a discount if you report the illegal income? They should probably give you points for honesty at least :)

The Merry said...

Um... when I say 'you' in that comment, I didn't me 'you' in particular! Just a generic 'you' if that makes any sense.

messymimi said...

That's how they got Al Capone. They don't expect the bad guy to report the income, and then they can prove he is spending significantly more than he claims to have made.

It is still funny.