Monday, November 15, 2010

Look, I've already *been* through high school once

Quote du jour: Those who face that which is actually before them, unburdened by the past, undistracted by the future, these are they who live, who make the best use of their lives, these are the ones who have found the secret of contentment. - Alban Goodier


Probably all of you still have a file containing English Grammar lessons from your 5th grade class... right? (Um, I didn't hear you chime in there. I'm going to assume it was my poor hearing.)

And I'm sure that everyone else knows their exact SAT scores, as I now do. (No, you don't really want me to say it. I ... um... well, I don't want you to feel inadequate, okay? Sheer thoughtfulness, that's me.)

Going through years decades of saved paperwork is like taking a walk down memory lane... except that rather than a walk it feels more like I'm on a treadmill that will never come to an end. No more! Please, I don't want to look at any more papers. I mean, dear Lord, that file of angst-filled high school poetry was ... okay, look, let's just forget I even brought the subject up, okay? It never happened. Plus, all the evidence has been shredded. Very, very thoroughly shredded. So there.

Goal of the month: Still complaining about making my way through the 30 days of purging excess Stuff from my life.
Ugh. Spent tonight throwing out cards and letters from old boyfriends. Why did I have to save everything?


Goal of the week: I want to aim to get out the door by 7:30 a.m. I actually managed to get to bed, if not always to sleep, by 9 p.m. last week. Let's see if I can manage this one.
Well... kinda... sorta... not. I think it was actually 8 a.m., but I'm not sure since, like a coward, I stopped looking at the clock by that point

Exercise du jour: C25k week 4. Something I would never have dreamed of doing in high school. See? I'm evolving. And I promise never to write poetry about a boy ever again. Honest. Cross my heart and hope to never experience H.S. again.

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Done! Plus, walked 4-1/2 miles

6 comments:

C said...

I'd pay good money to see that poetry of yours.

My sister still has her diaries from middle and high school. I mock the contents of them daily. :)

The Merry said...

Poetry? What poetry? I have no idea what you're talking about. Besides, I have a very efficient shredder. Which I prize above rubies.

Keith said...

High School. Ugh. ack. spit. barf. And no, you don't me to tell you how I really feel.

When you're purging, you can't look at it. A few weeks ago I was in the mood to purge stuff. Several weeks running I filled up the wheeled recycle bin (2'x2'3' and subtract a bit for rounded corners) with paper. Minutes from a board I used to be on. In 1990. Lots of other paper from a similar vintage. Didn't look at any of it. My thinking was that I had found no reason to look at in the previous many years, so there's no reason now. I now have more shelves for books.

messymimi said...

Shred away. It was how you were then, it is not how you are now.

Amy said...

putting high school through a shredder would be very cathartic, very fargo.

The Merry said...

Ha! Now I'm in a chipper mood ;)