Sunday, October 10, 2010

A week of Ornish: day 1


Stolen from The Ironic Catholic, who leveraged it from a copyright-free Google images site.


Quote du jour:
[Meditation] satiates the hunger that is not satisfied by food alone. And when your soul is fed, you have less need to overeat. When you directly experience the fullness of life, then you have less need to attempt to fill the void with food.
Other ways of feeding your soul -- that is, healing your isolation -- include: altruism, compassion, massage, psychotherapy, and yoga.
- Dean Ornish


I was browsing through a book written by Dr. Ornish (Eat more, weigh less) and ran across some paragraphs that struck me as worth pondering. So I thought I'd put them up here, one a day for a week, and ponder them.

This quote made me wonder if I should try an experiment.

I don't feel any urge to undergo psychotherapy, massage, or meditation. I'm not seeing any especially altruistic or compassionate things I could do at the moment. But I do have that yoga DVD. Maybe that's a sign.

Goal for the week: One week of daily yoga sessions. See if it makes any diff on the scale.
Done! And with seven minutes to spare before Midnight. I can tell already that it's going to be one of Those weeks.


Yes, I know, to do a true scientific experiment I would have to do this for longer than a week. But if this were a true scientific experiment I would also have to divide myself into a test group and a control group and double-blindfold myself when weighing on the scale and… well, anyway, this is strictly a personal anecdotal study, worthy only of publication in the Journal of Irreproducible Results.

Note: If you want real, proper exercise experiments, go read Charlotte's blog.

I'll still keep up with the aerobic exercise as well.

Exercise du jour: 30 minutes on the elliptical
Done!

5 comments:

English Rider said...

You just burned about a million calories in brain stretches:)

The Merry said...

I hope your brain is feeling all nice and flexible now :)

Gina Fit by 41 Maybe 42 said...

"And when your soul is fed, you have less need to overeat."

-I like that quote. I believe there have been many times I've tried to fill something empty in my soul with too much food.

messymimi said...

In general, when stress comes down, so can weight. Go for it, it can't hurt to try.

Also, despite how many studies they do, the only results that matter are whether it works for you or not.

Josie said...

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog regarding my foot injury. yes, it was helpful; very! I wonder if it does have to do with the way we favor one side. Who knows? I'm planning to see a doctor this week and hopefully find out for sure. My first guess was that it's a stress fracture, but they way you described your experience, it may be a pinched nerve too. Thanks again for the advice and encouragement. Good luck with your week of Yoga! I hope it brings you the results you are seeking :)