Friday, November 18, 2011

Getting crafty



Confession du jour: I'm trying to learn crafty things like crochet. (Yes, I know this photo shows Cary Grant trying to knit. Stretch your imagination a bit, okay? I defy you to produce a photo of a hunk crocheting. Must be something only women do.)

I figure that spending three hours a day commuting by public transport should provide the ideal time and place to learn this craft stuff. For one thing, you can't throw the tangled yarn down and run out the door screaming. Not while the train is moving, at any rate.

If all goes as planned, I will be able to do a bit more serious exercise today. Since I worked four 10-hour days, I get today off. So I have the time to exercise... presuming I don't spend it doing chores. Are chores more important than exercise? Clearly not. Well... unless you want to be able to find clean clothes, eat off clean plates, have the electric bill paid before they cut it off... pish! Trivial things like that.

Exercise du jour: I'm figuring two hours of ellipticalling: one in the morning, one in the evening.

Note: I don't know how this will go. I've been extremely lax on the elliptical lately, so this might prove too much for Damn Knee. Six weeks ago, this would've been an easy goal to do. Let's see what happens.


Photo courtesy of Noelle Noodle.

8 comments:

messymimi said...

Hope D.K. cooperates.

Haven't knitted or crocheted in years, but i still have a couple of things i cross stitched. It will help pass the time, i promise.

Spilling Ink said...

Like messymimi I haven't crochet or knitted in years except for that hat I made last year for someone. It had ears.

The Merry said...

Was it supposed to have ears?

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles said...

I am loving your crafty enterprise...although I must say knitting is far more pleasant than crochet...and knitting is perfect for public transport (if anyone gives you a hard time, just stab them with your knitting needles). Remind me to tell you about the time I actually did that on the New York subway...

Shelley said...

I picked up crocheting earlier this year. Never got beyond the single chain stitch, but oh, what a nice row I made!!! Hmmm, maybe I will give it another go...it WAS fun.

Anonymous said...

Dan knits and crochets, would a picture of him count? He's fairly manly, what with the badge and gun and tattoo....

Great goal, two full hours. I got in one hour and fifteen minutes of slow trudging today, not bad, for the tendon issues and the SUPER cold and blustery conditions. Oh and the "life" crap I also had to deal with.
Julie

(Chores? Nah, not even in the running.)

London Mabel said...

Now I'll always imagine you look like Carey Grant.

The Merry said...

Yep. Not the eyes, voice, or XY characteristics, but aside from that the resemblance is uncanny...