Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oh, hell no.

funny pictures - Fool Him Twice...Oh I Think Not!
see more Lolcats and funny pictures, and check out our Socially Awkward Penguin lolz!

This company I'm now at has a morning culture. Not all businesses do.

My last company, like many start ups, had a late-night culture. People would straggle in at 9, or 10(ish) and stay until 7 or 8.

This place, after 4:15, is a desert. After 5, it gets creepy. So I started getting there at 7:30, and all was good. There were people there, people I needed to check in with, and I got to leave before 5:00.

Then, they sez, "Well, you clearly like to get here early. Why not come to the 7:30 meeting that deals with your project?"

[FYI: If you don't have this kind of culture, know that it is common for companies to stage meetings at times like this when they're trying to coordinate with teams on PST (Pacific Standard Time), EST (Eastern Standard Time), and Bangalore time, which is 12 hours off of (ahead? behind? whatever) PST time.]

The last company I worked at, I attended a similar meeting. After Daylight Savings kicked in, I ended up having to go to a meeting at 5 in the friggin' a.m. Me, of all people. Luckily, I could log in from home before. This time, I'm a lowly peon and must come into the office if I want to access my computer.

So far, I've been making it into work in time for the 7:30 meeting. (Which involves my heading out the door at 5:30 a.m., not that I'm complaining bemoaning my fate more than any non-morning person.) I've been making it.

Then today, they sez to me, they sez: "Hey, instead of the 7:30 a.m. meeting, why not come to the one on Thursday instead? Much more useful for this project."

"Okay," says I. "When does this one meet?"

And they tells me, "6:00 a.m."

Exercise du jour: Still going to try for 4 miles walking, 15 minutes ellipticalling.
Done. Well, good enough to warrant a star. Walked not a step, but did 30 minutes ellipticalling. Plus, I got an okay to phone in to the 6 a.m. meeting instead of getting up at 4 to try to get there, which methinks deserves a damned star just on its own.

8 comments:

LaShaune said...

I try to keep the time zones in mind, but folks on the East just dont seem to care or can't + - / * and end up scheduling meetings at 5am PT, so I in turn will schedule meetings at 5pm ET (they hate staying past 4pm).

Secretarial revenge is great.

The Merry said...

Oooh, that's power.
Never mess with the admins :)

messymimi said...

Saw the star for yesterday, congrats.

No suggestions, except sue your parents for not giving you the biology of a morning person? Nah, never mind.

EcoCatLady said...

Good GAWD! That sort of reminds me of my year from hell in high school when, for some reason that is utterly beyond me now, I decided that it would be a good idea to apply for a job at Jack-in-the-Box. They made me work the Sunday morning shift, which meant that I had to be there at 4:30AM.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again!!! I think there should be OSHA standards against such treatment.

Spilling Ink said...

I do the early mornings because that's the time I can catch up with the good folks in the US office.

It's inhuman to get up that early and really there's not enough coffee in this world to make up for it!

Shelley said...

For that 6am meeting, can you just spend the night before in the office? Because that is just crazy otherwise!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Shelley, the only way I could appear in that office at this time of day would be if I had slept over and was STILL there.
Holy crap I can't believe you are doing this. AND earning your gold stars.
Julie

JavaChick said...

Oh. My. God. I so could not do that. I'm so glad my office is pretty much 9-5.