Saturday, October 01, 2011

It's the perfect 30 day challenge for October


Quote du jour: Patience is bitter, but it bears sweet fruit.
- Turkish proverb

Paradox du jour: I don't like 30 day challenges, I don't want to make them a habit, but even so I'm going to do another one. Why? Well, it worked last time. Today I got up and did 30 minutes on the elliptical before coffee -- I felt like an underachiever. I've gotten into the habit of exercising longer than that.

I like even numbers and clearly definable finish lines, so I generally don't do a challenge in October anyway. However, this one is too perfect. Therefore, I herewith state, swear, and affirm that I do hereby proclaim yadayada that I intend to have no sugar pass my lips for the next 30 days. Unless I come up with a way to mainline sugar, it's out of the game.

About the only thing I like about challenges like this one is the freedom to make up my own rules. Last month, I considered it fair to count simply moving for one hour as exercise, even if I didn't work up a sweat. (Though only one of the three hours of daily exercise could be allotted to just moving; the other two I had to sweat... does this make sense to you? Sounds much more complicated when I try to explain it.)

Anyway, the rules for the no sugar for 30 days challenge:

  • No chocolate, no candy, no Twinkies, pies, cakes, puddings, you get the idea
  • No champagne or other wine
  • No fruit juice or sodas
  • No dried fruit
I'll probably add to the list as I go along. Basically, nothing with added sugar in it. If I want something sweet, I will eat fruit. For the next 30 days, that is. On the 31st day, however...




Exercise du jour:
I really like the idea of exercising 3 times a day, even though Damn Knee won't put up with my doing 3 hours on the elliptical.

Morning: 1/2 hour elliptical
Done!



Noon: 1-1/2 hours gardening
Fail. On the other hand, I went shopping and walked past a lot of candy. It was harder than I had expected. Maybe I shouldn't have started this challenge the week before I start my cycle.
Night: 1/2 hour stretching, gentle walking
Done!



10/2
Noon - 1 hour elliptical
9 pm - 1 hour elliptical
Done!




Halloween candy courtesy of Ana_Fuji.

12 comments:

EcoCatLady said...

Just clicked over from Consciously Frugal... First of all, I had to tell you that I am still chuckling over "the Jehovah's Witness protection program."

So... I had to go cold turkey on sugar about 10 years ago due to migraine headaches, and while it was WELL worth it, it wasn't easy! It gave me a tiny taste of what it must be like to have a heroine addiction because, LORDY, "cravings" doesn't begin to describe it.

I've read that your body actually gets physically addicted to the stuff and I believe it. But once you get through the first few weeks it gets easier... and when you get thoroughly un-addicted it's MUCH better. Now I'm at the point where I can have it once or twice a month... anything more than that and I start to crave it again.

Although I never included alcohol in my little plan... though I use it rather sparingly too because of migraines. Hmmm...

ANYHOW (I fear I have a tendency to ramble) when I was in the throes of withdrawal, I would literally dream about eating chocolate. In my dreams I would totally be savoring some delectable piece of chocolate, which, in my dreams tasted WAY better than real chocolate actually tastes, when I'd suddenly remember that I wasn't supposed to be eating it and wake up with a start. But then... one time as I was having my nightly affair with the cocoa bean, I suddenly realized that I was dreaming, and therefore could enjoy as much as I wanted. It was pretty friggen cool!

So good luck, and may you enjoy lots of dreamy chocolate during your 30 day challenge!

Lee said...

Well, well, I'm impressed. Can't join you because I started the day with bakery treats. Dang. I might attempt this same challenge in January. This month, I'll be living sugar free vicariously through you.

Lee said...

BTW - that quote is fantastico.

The Merry said...

Thanks for the warning, EcoCatLady. I honestly hadn't thought this would be a difficult challenge. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to discover a secret addition...

Lee, I'm sure vicarious virtue counts for something too :)

messymimi said...

If you can drink fresh veggie juices, it helps with the cravings.

Trust me, sugar used to be my drug of choice, and now i don't touch it and don't miss it.

Shelley said...

I'm not sure what would be harder, last month's challenge or this one. Although, if those EXACT cuppycakes were waiting for me on Halloween, I might try it. Good luck Merry!

Anonymous said...

Still trying to comment.... days later....

No sugar? Now maybe I don't WANT to comment!
Julie

The Merry said...

At least Blogger is letting you access the comment section again. Maybe it doesn't approve of this challenge either?

Keith said...

NO WINE!!??? Doomed. I'd be doomed. Good luck with that.

Unknown said...

Hi! Just checking out your blog! I'm busy fixing my diet, but I still put a little brown sugar in my baked beans and in my oatmeal. But I haven't meat for quite a while now.

:-) Marion

Crabby McSlacker said...

OMG.

Good for you! Sounds very healthy and virtuous.

Personally, I'd rather crawl on my hands and knees over broken glass for the next 30 days, but to each her own. Plus I'm a notoriously weak-willed slacker.

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles said...

I'm officially with you on the 30-day sugar challenge. You must have read my mind. Does a teaspoon (or tablespoon) of honey in a cup of morning tea count? Probably.