Friday, January 30, 2009

Word of the day: Kybosh

Word of the day:
Kybosh - The term 'kybosh' (as in 'putting the kybosh on' something) comes from an Irish term, 'caip bháis', meaning 'the cap of death', and refers to the helmet full of boiling pitch that was thrust on to the head of any Irish 'rebel' caught by the invading soldiers during the Tudor land grabs. (By extension, the term was later used for a candle-snuffer.)

I wish I could find the source for that quote. Google serves up a large number of almost hits. (Did you know Google limits search queries to 32 words?) I have been looking forward to putting the kybosh on the push up challenge. Soon.


Exercise du jour
Week 5 of the push up challenge, day 3 level 2

set 1 18
set 2 20
set 3 17
set 4 20
set 5 max (at least @#$!%! 45!!!)
Done! Stealth push ups at work. It wasn't until /after/ that I realized this makes two workouts back to back without a rest. My triceps pointed this out to me. No running tonight. Can fog bring on asthma? It's either that or the pushups.

9 comments:

Theresa said...

Well, when you're done with the push up challenge, you could take on the sit up challenge: http://www.twohundredsitups.com/

No don't thank me. :+)

The Merry said...

200 friggin' situps?????????
Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!

BCB said...

Recent events at work have made me somewhat bloodthirsty, I'm afraid. I was hoping you were going to tell us you'd put the kybosh on a boss or cow-orker. Boiling pitch and all. I was SO looking forward to the descriptions of resultant mayhem and feelings of smug satisfaction. [sigh] So much for vicarious employment -- um, enjoyment.

I used to be able to do 100 situps with very little effort or exertion. I figure 200 would have been doable, had anyone insisted. I also used to be able to do a high kick that touched my forehead. And splits. Ah yes, those were the days of wine and roses and high school danceline. No doubt the cause of the various aches and pains I now feel every morning. If I were you, I'd stop torturing my body immediately. It WILL retaliate later.

nondeh: What my body says these days at the mere thought of 200 situps

The Merry said...

Um, BCB, hon?
If you go around kicking yourself in the forehead, then I'm afraid your body's going to have aches and pains, to say nothing of being rather pissed off at you. There's an advantage to being a lot less flexible :)

Diana Swallow said...

I was hoping kybosh was some new healthy version of a kebab :-)

BCB said...

Hmmm, it wasn't the flexibility that was the problem. It was "dancing" (which involves a lot of bouncing-- think Rockettes) while wearing ballet slippers instead of tennis shoes. And the parades. I can almost smell the hot asphalt and feel the shin splints just thinking about it.

I'm going to stop coming over here if all this talk of exercise is going to keep making me have flashbacks to a healthier and fitter time in my life. Painful stuff, exercise. Pretty sure it's bad for you.

bowfla: Blogger's opinion of that machine

Anonymous said...

Hi Merry,

I hate to repay a wonderful gift with bad news (I read your post on bike rollers, found a set on craigslist, and am so happy with my new workout program - thank you!) but-
the second two days of week five and week six of the push-up regimen have different left hand columns: some of them say things like "sets 1 and 2" so there are actually three or four more sets in these weeks. Sorry to bring this news!

The Merry said...

Oh, Frappacino!
(My cuss word du jour)

Natalie, thank you. I'd been doing the 2nd column, and forgot to check back. Kinda sneaky the way they stuffed those extra reps in on the 2nd and 3rd days.

The Merry said...

But I'm glad you like your rollers!