Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's just a phrase I'm going through

Every time I go out for a run and people stare at me, I tell myself that they're lost in admiration at my incredible beauty, grace, and charm.

What the hell. With repetition comes belief. (Well, after enough repetition.) So I'll keep telling myself that.

Exercise du jour: 30 minutes basking in people's admiration running.

Update du 8:43 pm
Inner slug [gloating]: It's too late, you're too tired, the cramps are too painful. You'll never run tonight, never!
Self [Fingers in ears]: La, la, la, I can't hear you... here I go...

Update du 9:02 pm
Maybe I should take the fingers out of my ears and put some iPod earphones there instead.
Really, here I go. Honest. I mean it this time.

Argh. After 16 minutes of calf-burning agony, I've decided my body was trying to tell me something. It's the flimsiest exercise session yet, but I'm going to count this as earning a star, if only because it hurt so much. Times like this I could really appreciate a mournful violin playing in the background, to emphasize the sad self-pitying atmosphere chez Merry at the moment. Maybe just a small violin?

4 comments:

C said...

Exactly! That's what I tell myself too. :)

Theresa said...

There you go - that's the spirit!

Theresa said...

Geez, I hate exercise sessions like that. Good for you for defeating your inner slug to at least get out there for a bit!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Way to go!

I've discovered that going out there and letting myself quit a bit earlier when it's really hard is actually a helpful part of a long term strategy. I need to be able to tell myself "if it really sucks, I can cut it short" and mean it. If I made myself keep going longer, I might not get myself out there the next time.

And "agony" isn't good. When I get to "agony", I definitely stop!