Tuesday, February 09, 2010

A change of plan

Compassion.  It finds a way
see more Political Pictures

Okay, here's the thing. Friday I did a stupid thing: I combined the 3-mile jog (from Thursday) with the cycling. And my legs were sore. I rested them on Saturday, and delayed the Sunday run to give them time to feel good about moving, but they were still sore. Monday, my legs simply did not want to pedal.

I cycled anyway. I am nothing if not stubborn.

However, I can take a hint... eventually.

Exercise du jour: Today I will do nothing more strenuous than a gentle, one-mile walk to/from the Weight Watcher's meeting. Maybe a little yoga, if the legs think they can handle that. And we'll see how they feel tomorrow.
Done! Walked 2 miles. It felt very weird not to be doing more. My mind kept thinking 'am I slacking off?' And I probably would've gone ahead and pushed the legs to do the 2 mile jog, but I decided to get a headache instead. Probably the legs induced the headache. Legs can be sneaky.

7 comments:

josie said...

Sounds like a smart thing to do...I'm learning to listen to my body more. Sometimes a rest is much needed.

Lu said...

Hope you feel better. I haven't done anything for a week. How does one spell "viral sinus infection"? Anywho, best of luck. I'll be back at it soon enough and so will you. I'm particularly fond of your pic today.

Marste said...

Aw, what a sweet pic.

FWIW, last week I lifted weights one day, and then did yoga (to "relax") the next. But both those things work my arms pretty hard, and the third day I could. not. move. my arms. I felt a little dumb, actually.

And thanks for the picture! Woo-hoo!!! ;D

messymimi said...

Rest when your body tells you to. Recovery is faster that way.

Kelly the Happy Texan said...

It's so much better when we listen to our bodies. LOL I'm trying that today. Just C25K...no Shred.

Shelley said...

I have a hard time not working out when I planned to, no matter what my body is telling me. But you should listen when your body is wanting to slow down - I'm glad that you are "just" walking a mile to WW, lol!

Theresa said...

Bah humbug on the headache, but woohoo on the walking and listening to your body!

Heh, and my word verification is: hootas