Monday, January 31, 2011

Change of plan

Running...  Maybe not ur thing

Quote du jour: If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Site du jour: This is probably something that would only amuse academics, but I liked the honesty of it: The Journal of Universal Rejection.
The founding principle of the Journal of Universal Rejection (JofUR) is rejection. Universal rejection. That is to say, all submissions, regardless of quality, will be rejected. Despite that apparent drawback, here are a number of reasons you may choose to submit to the JofUR...


I'm tired of wrestling with wildebeests, so I've made a decision. Rather than keep increasing the distance, I'm going to stick to a mere 2 miles at lunch, but work on getting 'em done a little faster. It's not as ego-boosting, but I can fit it into the schedule.

It really does make me feel I'm accomplishing something if I can write "Oh, I ran 10 miles today." (I would love to be able to write that. Just once. Maybe someday.) Being able to go a lesser distance but in a faster pace... it's not as impressive. But what the hell. If it makes me fit rather than quit, then you must acquit I'll do it. It's better than trying to achieve a goal that can be easily sidetracked by life, work, and relatives.

Exercise du jour: 2 miles round the trail at lunch. Rain? Who cares. Work pressure? Bah. I'm gonna go for it.

7 comments:

C said...

LOL at the 'you must acquit'.

This is my same philosophy for the time being. This way I save time and still stay fit. Win-win.

P.S. - In the photo, notice it's the blond women who fell. There's a joke in there somewhere, no? :)

Keith said...

I work on the theory that you're better off out there doing what you can without injuring yourself, regardless of what your plan said. There are times we plateau and have to struggle through. I also think you're better off working out 3 x in a week for a time, rather than doing that time in one workout. Much harder to recover from that.

messymimi said...

Lesser distance at a faster pace is just as much work. Go for it, it will impress your muscles to be worked.

messymimi said...

Forgot to add:
“If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then give up. There's no use being a damn fool about it." W.C. Fields

Sorry, don't know how to edit and include this in the previous comment.

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles said...

Good strategy. I think I'm gonna do the same...
...That or I am going to give up exercise altogether and just reside on the couch. Still under consideration.

Anonymous said...

*ding ding ding* (That's the back-up bell, big trucks have them, but I am saying nothing about the size of my ass being related to a large vehcle, really I'm not.)
You are RUNNING at lunch! Right there, huge accomplishment.
Ya know, just mentioning it. (Great on the new plan though, also good.)
Julie
(who floundered around in the pool today, so that counts)

Anonymous said...

When it comes to daily exercise, better to focus on the possible than push for the improbable-- you definitely get more benefits from 'just doing it' than trying to push yourself to do too much and not making it :) Good luck!