Sunday, March 07, 2010

Me, Picasso, & James Thurber

People tell me it's useful to keep picture records of my progress.

The problem is that even the idea of putting photographs of myself up on the blog depresses me utterly. On the other hand, I've always admired people who did have the fortitude to put their pictures up on their blog. They also tend to have been successful in reshaping themselves. Maybe there's a connection. I knew photos would not work for me, but I did an interesting experiment. I drew my shape.

Since I am of course gifted in artistic skills self-delusion, I decided to draw in the style of Picasso or of James Thurber. I drew what I recalled looking like three months ago and what I looked like today.


Note: Yes, I did chop my arms off for these pictures. But then I had them surgically reattached. No worries.

My spare tire has definitely lost a little air, and it's caused a redistribution of stuff. It's like I still have most of the weight that I'd had before, but instead of being around my waist, it all just slid south a few inches.

Technical note: If you want these progress pictures to twirl around, PastaQueen style, follow this procedure:

1 - Print out the picture.
2 - Lay the printout on a flat surface, such as a table.
3 - Run around and around the table while keeping your gaze fixed on the printout.

[Note: the womanagement of Sheesh are not responsible for any injuries that might be incurred during this procedure.]

Hey, if you want some cool progress photos:

Somehow, I don't think I need to worry about anyone stealing my pics.


Exercise du jour: Jog 3 miles. I'll see if I feel like going a bit further, to make up for the Friday fail.
Done! Not a pretty job, but I did it.

13 comments:

Tricia said...

Your picture made me laugh. Thanks :)

LMI said...

What I found most interesting was that your head has shrunk. Hmmmmm.

The Merry said...

Tricia, woman, you laughin' at me?
unconvincing self-pitying sniff

Laura, there might be some slight inaccuracies in these figures. For instance, my hips are not wider now than they were 3 months ago. On the other hand, I think the figures give the impression of how the revisions are going. Yeah, that's the idea. Impressionist.

carpeviam said...

Did you get a boob job?!

The Merry said...

Nah... they just stand out more when there's less waste/waist.

Shauna said...

Heading for the printer right now to try this rotating experiment! hehehehehe.

Well done on your progress comrade and if some dodgy pills company steals your drawings let's go postal on their arses!!! :D

messymimi said...

Redistribution is progress.

Keep it up, it will get better.

Josie said...

haha, that's great! Love your sense of humor.
I didn't think I'd ever be comfortable putting my pics up, but truthfully, it was quite liberating. Thanks for sharing those links, I hadn't been to any of those blogs before...now I shall. :-)

JavaChick said...

I take photos in hopes of seeing progress eventually...I just don't post them for all the world to see. Maybe I would change my mind if there were ever any visible progress...I like your pictures though. :)

C said...

Love the pics. :)

Shelley said...

You are so funny...I loved your comment about the run done hunny bun, and your drawing ain't bad, either!

Lisa Deon said...

I never realized I was in the presence of such a world class artist. Your self portrait rendition has left me speechless...

Okay, well it is me so speechless will never really happen. But kudos to you for having the courage to post an armless, curvy rendition of your progress. Losing those sharp right angles must have taken a lot of sanding. I was also unaware that your lacked split legs, is that some kind of a "mermaid" affliction? It must really come in handy when you swim. Although shopping for pants might be a challenge.

You learn something new every day.

To visualize my shape, one only needs to picture a can of soda. Packed full of cottage cheese.

Nummy!

Unknown said...

I wanted to reach out to you about our new site, iChange.com. We're looking for a few weight loss and nutrition bloggers to pilot our nutritionist-led support groups and give feedback (no cost to you). After going over your blog I think you'd be an awesome member of our site testing team. Please email me at jen@ichange.com if you are interested in learning more. Thanks!