It's the end of the month, so I thought I should publish a progress report, some way to keep track of where I've been and where I'm going. A really cool organized person would put a chart up here to visually indicate progress. But we're dealing with me.
Status: Good and bad, mixed report.
In the last five weeks (since I started keeping track again):
Weight lost: 11.5 pounds (gotta include that 1/2 a pound!)
Weight to lose: 79.5 pounds (yes, I'd settle for losing 69, or even 60)
Note: Taking myself off the thyroid medication has caused me to lose ten pounds in the last month. Which sounds great, but leaves me where I was before I started taking the damn stuff. So really this is the start of my weight loss program. Still, feels good to say I've lost ten pounds in a month.
- Changes made:
- To help the knee, I switched to commuting on my road bike, a light-as-a-feather Bianchi Eros, so I skim up the hills now. Alas, the ... um... well, the downside is that my nether regions were used to the other bike's seat and... well... parts of me are bearing weight that were never intended to do so. Gotta get that commuter bike fixed soon.
- Been good about cycling, bringing food from home and mostly eating it, even started doing the occasional Pilates and low-intensity aerobics videos. (Nothing that would jar the knee.) Pat on the back there.
- The knee seems to be happier with the change in bike and also since I've started wearing flats at work. (Getting up while wearing high heels apparently was not the knee's idea of a good plan. Who
- Changes still need to make:
- Need to make walking at lunchtime a habit. For that matter, simply taking a lunchtime break (rather than eating at my desk) would be a healthy move.
- Want to throw in 20 minutes or so of aerobic exercise first thing in the morning. Since I'm going without thyroid medication, and I don't want to go back to drinking coffee for energy, exercise is the best way to keep my metabolism working. If I work out twice in the morning, once at noon, and once in the evening, I should have enough energy to make it through the day. (She said hopefully.)
- Need to start weightlifting a couple of times a week. I might hold off on that for another month while I concentrate on the morning aerobic videos and lunch walking. If I try too much at once, I get overwhelmed, drop everything, and go in a corner to whimper.
How 'bout you?